Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hope Hoops AM4 Wheels Stans Flow Rim
  • thwapy
    Free Member

How do these wheels compare to the Pro 2 build? They come with a hope rotor, which I need and are they worth the weight penalty?

How easy are they to set up as tubeless and can I just use my Conti 2.3 tyre? Thanks

Underhill
    Free Member

I got a set of Pro 2s built up with Stan's ZTR Flows and found them a nightmare to get tubeless. The ZTR Flows aren't a tubeless rim, which I would have discovered with a little more research, they require a rim strip at £15 to seal them. Had trouble fitting tyres (Halo Choir Master UST) but to be fair, shop exchanged them after they couldn't fit them either, reckoned they were twisted.

You should be able to fit your Conti on, I had Maxxis non-UST on mine with tubes no problems.

Dare say that someone with more experience could ghetto these tubeless, but my experience was trying.

thwapy
    Free Member

Thought they came with the right rim strip? I'll have to geek around and see how it's done. How have you found the wheels other than that Underhill?

FuzzyWuzzy

Eh? You just need rim tape and valves for a Flow rim (still not exactly cheap if you buy Stans stuff but you don't need the full rim strips). Not had an issue fitting tubeless tyres on my Flow rims either (both a Bonty FR4 and Conti RQ 2.4 tubeless inflated first time with a track pump and didn't even need to use soapy water, just let them down again after, stuck sealant in and they've stayed up fine since).
    Edit: 25mm tape like http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=38829 is what you need (one roll is plenty for a pair of wheels even if you double-wrap).

Jamie
    Free Member

The ZTR Flows aren't a tubeless rim,

Yeah they are.

they require a rim strip at £15 to seal them.

No they don't. Yellow tape and an olympic valve should do it.

Underhill
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

The ZTR Flows aren't a tubeless rim,

Yeah they are.

they require a rim strip at £15 to seal them.

No they don't. Yellow tape and an olympic valve should do it.

Ahem

"This is NOT a tubeless (UST) rim. The appropriate tubeless rim kit must be purchased separately before running tubeless a set up"

I tried the Olympic valve, no use. Perhaps because the tyres wouldn't seal, perhaps not.

Apology accepted.

Underhill
    Free Member

thwapy- found the rims to be grand apart from that, no complaints, but I've only been using them for a couple of months. Got mine from CRC and there were no rim strips included, which pi55ed me off at the time, but the Pro 2's did come with the 20mm conversion kit, couple of spare spokes & nipples for each wheel.

I went for them because of they seemed to get a balance of weight/cost for me. Ideally I'd have gone for Mavic 819s but just couldn't stretch the budget that far at the time.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

They are designed with tubeless in mind, hence they have a strong bead hook, and you don't have to build up the middle of the rim with layers of tape.

i used the yellow tape, no problems in 10 months with mine. Tyre went up 1st time with a track pump.

grumm
    Free Member

I got a set of Pro 2s built up with Stan's ZTR Flows and found them a nightmare to get tubeless. The ZTR Flows aren't a tubeless rim, which I would have discovered with a little more research, they require a rim strip at £15 to seal them.

Soooooooo wrong…

With just the yellow tape and valves, I can use non tubeless tyres with mine, inflated with just a track pump. I've never had them burp and I weigh 16.5 stone and ride like a clumsy oaf.

nosedive
    Free Member

They might not be UST but they are designed to be tubeless (ZTR = Zero Tube Rim). Just Riding Along only stock them sealed with yellow tape, they should be fine to get tubeless like this. Have you tried using a compressor?

Jamie
    Free Member

Apology accepted.

That is very gracious of you.

…but see above posts for the reasons I didn't offer one in the first place 😉

Underhill
    Free Member

🙂

nosedive- I tried a compressor both with the Stan's rim strip & with valve & tape, neither worked, but as I said, tyres were also found to be faulty. Couldn't get them to seat properly.

Problems solved now with new tyres & as I said, happy enough with the wheels, but my experience was that it was difficult to the point of taking them back to the shop to get tyres fitted tubelessly.

Lakes_Puma

I've just got a set of hope hoops with flow rims from Roger Musson (wheelpro) the price was great (better than CRC I think) that's including Roger tweaking them, I haven't tried mounting tires yet, hope to do this tonight.

I'll report back after I've tried.

nosedive
    Free Member

those prices from wheelpro are great, I'm tempted for a set of spares..

messiah
    Free Member

I have year old Pro2 Hoops with Flows which I love to bits. Under 1kg for each wheel and pretty damn strong without being flexy. The front rim is a bit bent from a biggish "off" but it trued up okay and is holding after 9 months. I've bent and broken a couple of rear 12mm axles from using a Maxle Lite bolt thru… beware this option! Allegedly the Pro3 hub on the AM4 has a different axle which is stronger?????

I wanted the flexibility of IS mounts… a flexibility which I have not used and probably never will… I kind of wish I had gone for the AM4's.

FWIW – I run the stans rim strips and they have been brilliant… I am currently running non UST Schwalbe Big Bettie tyres tubeless at 20psi front and 25 psi rear with outstanding results… probably because it's dry as I've heard these are not so good in the wet!

Note – if you do go for the stans strips bung a wrap of electrical tape underneath in case you have to bung a tube in out on the trail.

I have a compressor now but used to manage with a track pump and a lot of swearing 😆

thwapy
    Free Member

messiah, what do you mean by the flexibility of IS mounts?

nosedive
    Free Member

I had a custom built set of arch \ proII. They are so good, they take the same abuse as a set of D521s but weigh so much less. Most people seem to go for Flow now though as they are only 50g heavier.

Does anyone else have any feedback on this Wheelpro chap?

Jamie
    Free Member

Does anyone else have any feedback on this Wheelpro chap?

One of the best wheel builders in the country. Even wrote a book on it.

nosedive
    Free Member

thats fairly clear then! I usually use Just Riding Along, who are very good. They only do custom builds though and thats around £400 for Pro2/Flow, looks like I could save about £130 by going for a factory option from Wheelpro.

messiah
    Free Member

flexibility of IS mounts

IS 6 bolt rotors… the Hope Pro3 SP AM4 wheels have a funky Hope only system.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I have the am4 with flow wheels on my old 2003 sx and they have been perfect for the last year .

Very easy to fit with just tape and a valve ( track pump not compressor)

Stared with conti tyres and spesh captain at the moment both worked like a dream.

Northwind

Underhill – Member

"The ZTR Flows aren't a tubeless rim, which I would have discovered with a little more research, they require a rim strip at £15 to seal them."

I know it's already been said but what total cobblers this is. They're not UST because UST is Mavic's patent, they are however rims designed for tubeless. They don't require a rim strip as proved by plenty of people on here, and me, all they need is the tape and a valve. Fitment is simple enough, dependant on tyre of course, some will always be a sod to do if they're slack or too tight but then that's the same of 819s etc.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Underhill – Member
    I got a set of Pro 2s built up with Stan's ZTR Flows and found them a nightmare to get tubeless. The ZTR Flows aren't a tubeless rim, which I would have discovered with a little more research, they require a rim strip at £15 to seal them. Had trouble fitting tyres (Halo Choir Master UST) but to be fair, shop exchanged them after they couldn't fit them either, reckoned they were twisted.

You should be able to fit your Conti on, I had Maxxis non-UST on mine with tubes no problems.

Dare say that someone with more experience could ghetto these tubeless, but my experience was trying

Can i just add one more voice to this thread and say that this is utter twaddle, i dont know where you learned all this or who told you but its as wrong as a very wrong thing thats been wrong for some time…

thwapy
    Free Member

Good so I'm guessing that they can indeed go tubeless! 😕

I have ordered a front AM4 on Stans Flow today. I have a Conti Vertical 2.3 tyre, will that work if I buy tape and a valve? What do I need and how much will it cost. Oh and how do I do it…. Thanks !

Lakes_Puma

Well I had a go last night with my floor pump and had no joy what so ever, BUT I think the 'smart' head on the pump is cr@p, which didn't help matters.

tragically1969
    Free Member

I had problems with one tyre, just use Co2, went on no problems

Jamie
    Free Member

I have ordered a front AM4 on Stans Flow today. I have a Conti Vertical 2.3 tyre, will that work if I buy tape and a valve? What do I need and how much will it cost. Oh and how do I do it…. Thanks !

It depends what the wheel comes with, as some will come taped with valves from the likes of Wheelpro or JRA. If just the bare wheel then you will need one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49111

…or you can buy the bits separately.

Yellow Tape.
    [url=http://www.justridingalong.com/shop.php?product=58]Olympic Valves.
    [/url]Notubes Solution.

I went the slightly easier route of using UST tyres with a trackpump and it worked fine. You will just have to have go with the conti's 😉

nosedive
    Free Member

Is conti vertical a tubeless tyre? If not you will find that the official advice is to use a rubber rim strip but I am being told that is often unneccesary. So, seal the holes with the yellow tape, push the rubber valve into the hole. Put the tyre on, pump it up. If it doesn't inflate use a compressor. Unless it seals really nice first time and shows no air loss you will need to put a bit of sealant in (just let the air out, remove the valve core, put sealant in with a little bottle then reinflate the tyre). That should hold it even if it is not a tubeless tyre. Seems like a faff but once you have done it a couple of times its OK

thwapy
    Free Member

nah it's not a tubeless tyre, will buy a kit and give it a go! Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hope Hoops AM4 Wheels Stans Flow Rim’ is closed to new replies.