Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope headsets. Please explain….
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why they are any better than, say, an FSA at half the price?

I’ve got one sat here in front of me I got with a frame I bought. It’s OK I suppose, but I can’t see where it’s worth the money. No custom bearings like a King. Not finished any better than an FSA.

I’m not fussed, I might keep it, I might sell it. Not sure yet…..

Hmmmmm??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The bearings aren’t that good a fit in the cups either

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have one and all my others are crane creeks hard to see value in any headset tbh
    When you cay custom in Kings is that why they score steerers?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When you cay custom in Kings is that why they score steerers?

No. That’s because they don’t use a split ring to tighten onto the steerer. Scoring is a strong word too. It’s more if a mark you can see but not feel.

I don’t know how old this headset is but it seems the older ones didnt have removable bearings, so this must be the new type…. Is that correct?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I like the stainless bearings even if mud still gets in. I think that most people should service their headsets regularly and they last sooo much longer 🙂

Northwind

Mine certainly isn’t any better than my normal cheapo FSAs and Cane Creeks. But it does look nice, and it came in an awkward fitment. You can get a Hope to fit pretty much any stupid headset standard.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m on my 2nd one, purely for aesthetics reasons as the red one didn’t go with my new frame 😳

To be fair my CCS3 has lasted just as long and it just as smooth.

pypdjl
    Free Member

55*2 = 110 ?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’ve had the same one on several bikes for the last four years and it’s faultless and don’t know it’s there. Which in my book is the way headsets and bb’s are supposed to be. It has had a few cannock chase winters thrown at it without a so much as grind. Don’t know what it is but mine just does it’s job.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How much is it worth?

It won’t fit my C456, my Inbred has a King on it, my Pitch has a brand new Cane Creek 110, and my 1992 Kona Cindercone has an XTR headset, so I can’t really see me ever using it TBH

Or should I hang onto it just in case?

robsoctane
    Free Member

Buy British?

No other headset is better in my opinion, tried lots & the seals seem better on the Hope. Great that it has a split fork race too. All those colours, CNC machining looks great too.

Buy British! 😉

messiah
    Free Member

I thought the Hope seals were ****… but it’s saved by the Stainless bearings that don’t rust when the **** gets in. I need to strip and grease once a year.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope headsets. Please explain….’ is closed to new replies.