Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hope Headsets
  • glen815
    Free Member

Anyone using A Hope headset? How do they compare to the competition (Chris King)?

br
    Free Member

Chris King is competition?

Hope’s just work, not sure about CK.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the competition as I’ve only a crappy oem to judge it against however my Hope Headset has now seen 3 different frames and is about 3 years old. Still running the same bearings and still looks and feels as good as new apart from a bit of cable rub. I’d happily recommend and will be replacing the tapered headset on the new bike when it arrives with a Hope.

thomthumb
    Free Member

far superior to chris king

Northwind

They’re good, but tbh the sealing and the quality of the bearings is very similiar to a Cane Creek S8, which costs £25. You don’t need to spend a lot to get a brilliant headset. Hope shine when it comes to dealing with the 10 million “standards” though, don’t think anyone else matches them for that.

My boxxers have a nice bit divot out of the steerer because of a Chris King headset. Course, there was definitely no design issue or penny-pinching over licenses. The fact that they changed the design instantly when it became free to do so definitely isn’t relevant. But if you want, you can pay them to retrofit the redesigned part which it should always have had in the first place. Oh, the new part costs as much as an entire Cane Creek headset.

But they are so pretty.

timraven

I’ve never had a Chris King, but never had a problem with Hope headsets and plenty of problems with others.

honourablegeorge

Find the Hopes excellent. If I really wanted to spend twice as much. I’d have a King, but I can’t see a reason to.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Hopes are great, seem to last forever too

timc
    Free Member

Hope on previous bike was great, not sure its better VFM than Cane Creek though, currently on Cane creek & happy

glen815
    Free Member

Thanks all. You have just confirmed what I was thinking. Hope it is. Cheers. 😀

warpcow
    Free Member

Same as timc: had a Hope for ages (6-ish yrs) but sold it with my last frame. Have a Cane Creek S3 and S6 that are almost as old though and still going strong.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Sorry if I’m being dense, but could you explain what you’re showing us a picture of there tomthumb? It seems to me to be a snapped steerer tube. At a guess that’s George Hincapie’s bike from the tour of flanders a while back? Still not getting what that’s got to do with the quality of headset…

Andy-R

King headset creating a stress riser?

timc
    Free Member

think those kings scored the steerer or something similar

Junkyard
    Free Member

They’re good, but tbh the sealing and the quality of the bearings is very similiar to a Cane Creek S8, which costs £25. You don’t need to spend a lot to get a brilliant headset. Hope shine when it comes to dealing with the 10 million “standards” though, don’t think anyone else matches them for that.

having used Hope and Cane Creek THIS

Not paying CK prices for anything tbh

matt22
    Free Member

But a Hope headset in after mine went to the darkside and what a difference it made to the steering, so much smoother I would definitley recomend one

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I have a headset in the car that has the same bearings as the CK and titanium bolt. I also just fitted a brand new hope headset to my new five. the ceramic bearing headset is very noticeably firmer and smoother than the hope. I didn’t even bother to look at what bearings hope use but I’d be surprised if they weren’t bog standard

carlosg
    Free Member

The bearings died in my 1st Hope headset in October last year , it’s first instalation was in 2002 in a carbon I-drive GT. I had moved it between 4 different bikes using nothing more than a hammer and screwdriver to remove and a rubber mallet to install. I’ve replaced it with another.

having said that the FSA Orbit extreme XL2 on my other bike is 7 years old and still on the go.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

you must never ride in the rain lol. I don’t know stainless steel cutlery that lasts that long

brakes
    Free Member

black Hope headset in my main bike, 9 years old, all original and still going strong. looking a bit tatty though so will probably retire the old girl and put her out to pasture.

kristoff
    Free Member

Fitted a hope pick and mix headset in my c456.

Seems very well made and lovely and smooth. Hopefully the longevity will be just as good 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hope Headsets’ is closed to new replies.