Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hope headset shims
  • mudmonster
    Free Member

I know it’s been covered before but just want to know if it’s ok to not have any shims at all? Only got one shim, when I use it I can’t adjust it properly at all. Without a shim it feels smooth and doesn’t feel loose. It’s a 44mm head tube BTW. Maybe I need too shims?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

yes, fine. shims are there to use as required. what I don’t understand is how using a shim would stop you being able to adjust it???

andyl
    Free Member

The shims just set the gap for the lip seal on the top bearing cover. Too many and dirt gets in, too few and it’s draggy and you wear the annodising off the top cup.

Should not affect the headset function/adjustment

mudmonster
    Free Member

I mean “Two” shims 😳 By not being able to adjust it properly I mean it’s either too slack or it binds. I can’t really understand why it binds with the shim in place.

otsdr
    Free Member

The shim should only affect the gap between the top cup/frame and the cover, as andyl mentioned.

Where exactly do you install the shim, if you don’t mind my asking? It should go between the compression ring (red anodized bit) and the top cover.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I’m putting the shim in the correct place, it seems the only place to put it, I checked the exploded diagram too. I thought to move freely it should sit on the compression ring (the same way the top cap does) but it’s too big for that. The rubber seal is now directly against the top cup, is this is bad? I’ll see what other shims I have. Should have a plastic Chris King one somewhere.

andyl
    Free Member

The rubber seal on the top cap is supposed to touch the lip of the top cup or it wouldn’t be doing its job and sealing.

The shim should sit on top of the split ring before you put the top cap on.

Even running no shims the seal should not cause excessive tightness.

The shims are wafer thin so no way they should be too big to fit in the correct place

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hope headset shims’ is closed to new replies.