Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hope headset lower bearing – where from please?
  • woodsman
    Free Member

It’s almost two years old, the lower bearing is shot. I seem to remember CRC used to sell the complete lower cup with bearing in place. They don’t anymore and are out of stock of even the bearing itself.

Anyone know of a stockit’s, the headset is silver in case a complete lower cup is available?

ta

Harmitans
    Free Member

I got the bearings from Hope, via the LBS and fitted them in the existing cups. Came to less than £20 from memory, but it was a while ago now!

Any Hope stockist should be able to get the bearings in.

JoeNation
    Free Member

What he said ^^^

Also, it’s probably an off-the-shelf bearing; just check your Yellow Pages for bearing suppliers, drive/ride/walk/hitchhike to the supplier of your choice, give them the bearing and wait for them to get you a new one.

woodsman
    Free Member

Apparently the bearings are no longer availabel according to Hope. It’s not even two years old what a waste of money!

If I take it off my bike send it to them with £35 they’ll send me another headset. I only want the lower bearing, I’d rather put that money towards the headset I should have bought rather than getting sentimental about buying British!

Harmitans
    Free Member

That’s very poor on Hope’s behalf.

As Joe said, if you do try a bearing supplier make sure you take the bearing out of the cup and take it with you. I seem to remember one side of the inner race is chamfered. This will make it twice as expensive and a pain to get hold of.

Good luck!

Goz
    Free Member

Woodsman, I think I have some….give me a call on tues 01242 255414…..ask for pete.

woodsman
    Free Member

Pete,

I’ll call you tomorrow late morning, it’s for the pre-2007 headset without the bevel on one side of the outer bearing race.

Cheers

Pete aka Woodsman

Goz
    Free Member

Fingers crossed 🙂

andym
    Free Member

If that doesn’t work out, take the bearing out and see what is written on it. there are basically two types of cartridge headset bearing – one is used by Cane Creek and the other by FSA – difference is mainly the angle of the bevel. sorry if that’s a bit vague but I’m not at home so I don’t have a bearing to hand to check. dotbike.co.uk should be able to provide you with a replacement.

coatesy
    Free Member

If it’s the type i’m thinking of, the bearings weren’t designed to be removed(limited unwanted movement in the headset apparently)from the cups, the whole assembly needed replacing.You can get just the crown race, cup and bearing from the new model seperately if you want to go that route.

woodsman
    Free Member

It’s now looking promising that Hope are going to help me on this. I’ll keep you posted as to the result, with a bit of good fortune tomorrow eve. So I’ll hang fire before contacting you @axroads for the moment, thanks for your help so far.

Pete aka Woodsman

Goz
    Free Member

Woodsman I do have two of the bearings if you’re interested, the problem will be getting the old ones out!

woodsman
    Free Member

Well, after a couple of emails and some telephone calls, Hope have come stepped up to the plate and supplied me another headset, less Headoctor for the cost of replacing the lower bearing, which was all I wanted.

I am happy with the outcome, although I can’t help but think it would have saved me a lot of time and hassle to have gone for a King in the first place. Let’s hope this new generation headset provides years of service.

tonydones
    Free Member

@axroads – I’ll take one of those bearings off you if that’s ok, had the same problem as woodsman but only realised you couldn’t get replacements after I’d managed to get the bearing out!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Tonydones i will let @axroads know he showed be these bearings the other day say Hope on them but no size,not very helpfull.

Goz
    Free Member

Hope reluctantly supplied me the bearings, but said I would’nt be able to remove the old ones…….they were right……

Harmitans
    Free Member

Tony, I’ll take the 2nd bearing if you only want the one. I assume they’re unused?

Goz
    Free Member

Unused indeed.

tonydones
    Free Member

@axroads – shall I give you a ring on the number you put in the previous thread? What sort of time is convenient? I’ll take both off your hands and pass one on to Harmitans (we know each other in the real world!).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hope headset lower bearing – where from please?’ is closed to new replies.