Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hope Headset Headache
  • danlurinsky
    Free Member

Hi Folks,

I’m absolutely doing my nut in here. I have fitted a standard hope headset to my rigid ala carte, but no matter what i do i still seem to be getting a little play after a while. the play normally seems to be coming from crown race end.

any ideas?

cheers

dan

superfli
    Free Member

Did you fit it with a press? Is it on square and were the cups skimmed flat?

khani
    Free Member

Did you use the head doctor, and is it tight as well?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chorlton
    Free Member

Are you sure the steerer tube is cut to the right length?

WackoAK
    Free Member

Just to check – are you tightening the topcap first then the stem in that order?

GeForceJunky

I’ve had problems in the past with the older style hope headset with the non split crown race being too large for the tapered bit at the bottom of the steerer tube. Check the crown race isn’t rocking back and forth a little bit. The way to fix it was remove the rubble seal and cut a slot in the crown race.

danlurinsky
    Free Member

hi guys,

thanks. yes i fitted it with a press, the cups are flat against the frame. i didn’t use a head doctor, i used a star spangled nut. the top of the steerer tube is a few mm under the spacers. i am tightening the topcap and stem bolts in correct order. its a new crown race with the split that you can easily take on and off without needing any tools… maybe i should take it all to bits again and try reassembling…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hope Headset Headache’ is closed to new replies.