Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope Head [Hed] Doctor Problem…
  • wozza70
    Free Member

Ham fisted me trying to take play out of headset [another story] sheared of the head doctor bolt so now have head doctor with broken bolt in the thread. There is nothing to get hold of to extract it from above.

Anyone had the same problem, and if so how did you sort it out?

I have another bolt if I can get the sheared one out…

Cheers all:-)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

can you get a drill bit down to it??

assuming you haven't sunk it too far?

if so can you drill into it and push the bolt that's snapped out??

alexxx
    Free Member

hammer it out

valleydaddy
    Free Member

or as alexx says but carefully 😳

wozza70
    Free Member

Cheers.

I can get a drill down to it… so this might be best option to start with I guess. Not sure I have anything that I could insert to hammer out from below other than screwdriver – any ideas?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I use an old big bladed solid screw driver for bashing duties, removes SFN's no trouble, not tried a head doc though!!

I'd try the drill and try and catch the thread and it will screw down and out I think

tragically1969
    Free Member

If its like i did to mine i could still get the 8mm allen key in to undo the expander then knock the Head Doctor out with a long piece of something, you should be able to then unscrew the 2 halves and get the snapped bolt out easily enough, Hope sent me a free bolt too as a replacement when i asked nicely !

wozza70
    Free Member

Thanks again – you are probably right that it may screw down and out – i'll give it squirt of WD first!! Going to leave until the morning, as at the moment my frustration may get the better of me.

wozza70
    Free Member

UPDATE: Drilled it and after a few mm it screwed the sheared thread out through the bottom.

It turns out I didn't have the hed doctor in deep enough in the steering tube and I was turning the bolt against the head doctor with it locked right down – hence it shreared before I took the slack out of the headset bearing – lesson learned, make sure you put the hed doctor deep enough but not too deep!

Also if anybody has the same problem in future… the bolts from Hope bar end plugs is the same as they use in their headsets and hed doctor. Luckily I had a couple in my parts bin.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope Head [Hed] Doctor Problem…’ is closed to new replies.