Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hope Head Doctor v. Use Ring-go-star v. star nut?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Never liked the idea of bashing a star-nut down the steerer due to the potential of it going in at an angle. Anyone use a head doctor, or the Use equivalent? The Use one is a lot lighter, and cheaper than the Hope.

benji
    Free Member

Used the hope one and it works well. Totally agree with disliking the bashing of a star nut into a steerer.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a ringo star in my jones truss fork because it solves the preload problem that the design causes. But I wouldnt choose to use one in a normal fork. The SFN is a good design and works well and securely. If you’re worried about installing it get an installation tool for £15

StuE
    Free Member
    benji
    Free Member

I know it’s easy to install, just don’t like it, prefer more elegance than smacking something in with a hammer.

At the end of the day there is no need for the headset preloading to be left in the fork, once the stem is tight it’s job is done. Simple bung would do if you really want to save weight.

warpcow
    Free Member

My Hope HD never held properly. SFN ftw.

Nice topcap though.

P20

SFN every time unless its a carbon steerer. The hopes tend to slip. If you’re not confident installing the SFN, try waving a packet of biscuits at your local LBS

Jamie
    Free Member

try waving a packet of biscuits at your local LBS

I am still yet to see this biscuit based economy in action. They always seem to want actual money 😡

P20

If you take just the fork in and ask politely, they may not bother charging you, the biscuits is optional

theotherjonv

One time when I was without any proper tensioner, I used a length of threaded bar and a couple of nuts and washers to preload the headset, which as above once done you then keep tension with the stem. Only issue is if it loosened on a ride, being able to retension it in the field. Plus, I had to use duck tape as a stem cap.

Jamie
    Free Member

If you take just the fork in and ask politely, they may not bother charging you, the biscuits is optional

All the same, I need to get some data on this phenomenomnomnom.

456mocha
    Free Member

I used an old V brake pad, screwed into the SFN, and a hammer.
    I twisted the pad around periodically to get the SFN in square.

_tom_
    Free Member

Ive had a couple of head doctors that came with forks I’ve bought. Before that just used star nuts. I would not waste money on the head doctor, doesnt seem to offer any kind of worthwhile advantage over a star nut which costs pennies and takes a minute or so to install with a rubber hammer.

Fat-boy-fat

I used to use a USE safe-T. Basically just a threaded bolt with a welded stem cap and a threaded cap for the bottom. It was OK but, even though the bottom cap was plastic, it did tend to seize on. Far prefer a SFN now.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I use a SFN even when I’m fitting Hope headsets if I’ve got one. Quicker to fit, lighter, more reliable. Tools to fit them are cheap.

Northwind

I’ve got a Hed Doctor in one bike, with a carbon steerer. It’s heavier and not as good as an SFN, and needed machined down to fit unexpectedly, but it’s fine- it does the job. All the bikes that can take a SFN, have an SFN.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hope Head Doctor v. Use Ring-go-star v. star nut?’ is closed to new replies.