Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hope Head Doctor to big for my 11/8 carbon steerer why and what else is there..
  • postierich
    Free Member

New build day today and have been frustrated with a few things cut my carbon steerer down and when to fit my Hope head doctor but it is no where near internal diameter of my steerer is 23.6mm

mintimperial

Have you loosened off the big hex head inside the expanding bit? Take the top bolt and cap right out, then loosen it right off. I think it’s a 8mm or 10mm hex key. Sometimes they come packaged done up quite tight for some reason.

djflexure

If you search carbon bung then you will get a variety of alternatives. I use one of the longer ones, for a bit more contact (can’t remember which). Is the ID of a carbon steerer not smaller than alloy? Might be the reason the hed doctor does not fit.

scotroutes

The carbon tube walls are normally thicker than alloy or steel. I bought a carbon fork bung from Exotic and it’s been fine.

andyl
    Free Member

yeah Hope don’t fit in carbon ones.

Annoying as the cheap one I have that fits has a top lip so needs an extra couple of mm of spacer to clear it. Hope fits down inside.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

mine too, I guess it’s cos a carbon steerer is thicker walled than alu but I just bought a cheap one from somewhere else

EDIT: this one in fact carbon fork expander

Northwind

I had to machine mine down a bit but it’d be easier to order a carbon-specific one the right size.

postierich
    Free Member

Cheers guys managed to get in to touch with Travers and they are sending me a bung that will fit!!

The build is delayed as I require new hydraulic hose for both brakes and a 11 speed shifter as I ordered a front one instead of a rear doh!!

djflexure

First run out on a Travers Prong yesterday and again today – really nice fork. Should be good once you are sorted (if thats what you are building with).

postierich
    Free Member

Yeah gone for the Travers Prong xc boost does your maxle lever rattle a bit djflexure?
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/REvh4k]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
    NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi rich

if you can send the hope bung to me i will turn it down for you on`t lathe

im in Cockermouth

PePPeR

I’ve got the opposite problem, my Hope HED doesn’t tighten up in my new steel forks I’ve fitted to my cx bike.

Anyone got any ideas for this situation?

djflexure

No help I’m afraid as mine was discounted and came without an axle. The one I used (society) screws up tight with no rattle.

simondbarnes

I’ve got the opposite problem, my Hope HED doesn’t tighten up in my new steel forks I’ve fitted to my cx bike.
    Anyone got any ideas for this situation?

SFN

andyl
    Free Member

Or bit of inner tube.

Although that might slip. SFN the most secure.

Poopscoop

Unless the Head doctor has improved it was useless the last time I used one. Ended up just using the to cap with a SFN.

That was on a steel steerer though.

Northwind

Simondbarnes is right, standard star fangled nut is the best option for metal steerers.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hope Head Doctor to big for my 11/8 carbon steerer why and what else is there..’ is closed to new replies.