Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • hope head doctor please help
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

never used one are these used instead of the star nut and are they any good?

Liftman

Yes and yes

valleydaddy
    Free Member

oh yes

druidh
    Free Member

They are fine – if completely un-necessary over-engineering

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

what Druidh says.

PITA I say.

Whats wrong with a star nut?

foxyrider
    Free Member

oh god here we go – They do the job fine and dont score the inside of the steerer tube but SFN also do the same job – I prefer Head doctors but your free to use either 😉

I think the original use for the HD was for when the SFN scored the tube so badly it didn't grip no?

TheSwede
    Free Member

whooooaaa be carefull. Once split a steerer tube because of one. loosened stem pinch bolts and turned bars 90 degrees for transportation in a van and crack. Maybe a little operator error but word of warning. Don't over tighten or do what I did without loosening top cap. It wouldn't of happened with a sfn. All sorted with fox warranty any hoo.

andrewh
    Free Member

They're OK, but SFN works just as well and is both lighter and cheaper.

Rip
    Free Member

Both equally as good but a SFN is easier to cock-up on installation. Whilst it's possible to install a SFN without a proper tool, it is prone to error.

A head doctor just requires an allen key.

And don't worry if the O ring gets torn/split. It makes little difference. A tiny drop of oil rubbed on the O ring will make it easier to install.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers guys looks like i'll give the head doctor a go on my new ragley mmmbop

Lactic
    Free Member

Careful with the topcap screw, it's made of an aluminium/cheese alloy and very easy to overtighten and snap.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Lactic – Member

Careful with the topcap screw, it's made of an aluminium/cheese alloy and very easy to overtighten and snap.

If it came with a 1.5" reducer headset it will have a stainless bolt. (Mmmbop has a 1.5" head tube.)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘hope head doctor please help’ is closed to new replies.