Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • HOPE HB 211?
  • rosscore
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about it, it looks the dogs.. wider rims for bigger tyres enduro thing got a mail from a local forum i subscribe to but no real detail, are Hope doing bikes now or is it just a one off for Eurobike, ok I know google is my friend, just wondered if there were any Hope insiders here…

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    tomhoward

Well there were two in whistler the other week, so it’s not a one off.

I’m skeptical that it will make production. More a test bed for their existing stuff and for team riders

honourablegeorge

I was supposed to be a one off, but apparently there are now ten of them in two different sizes being ridden by team riders and staff. Which is rather a lot of bikes for a one off…. and there’a mould for another size in the pipeline

Theyre going to prouce carbon themselves, CNCing the moulds and then doing layup in house. I guess these bikes are a pretty good way to learn, but I’m not sure they’ll stop there.

rosscore
    Free Member

It would make sense now the £ is in the toilet, they could get some traction in the export market, would be cool, I need one, er now.

cokie

The carbon layup is stunning, especially with the clear coat finish.
    I’ve not seen any other manufacturers using the 3k fabric like they have. Looks really nice over the copious others using the UD as a finish. I really like the shape of the frame too and the Nicolai-esk rear triangle is also really nice. I can only Hope ( 😆 ) this makes it to production!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I don’t know why they wouldn’t go to production, after spending all that money on R&D and cutting molds. The thing is a work of beauty, it’s the only carbon bike that has made me sit back and think “that could have been produced by a Formula One team” – the finish is just stunning.

I reckon any preorders would sell out, considering the cult following that Hope have. People have been mumbling for years and years that they’d love a Hope bike.

rosscore
    Free Member

‘Where do I sign?’ springs to mind.

andyl
    Free Member

Anyone need a kidney/testicle springs to my mind!

Do I mind that it uses lots of proprietary parts so I would need new hubs and brakes? Nope. Just give me a full Hope build with Ohlins suspension and I will be happy.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Any idea when the carbon bars are available?

wiggles
    Free Member

Won’t look as good without the green bits though

soundninjauk

I’m reasonably sure I’d sell my soul for one. Plus, with all the extra standards proliferating all over the place buying into the Hope Way is probably just the same as buying a Cannondale or Specialized.

mattbee

I really want them to put this into production. Looks lovely.

mickmcd
    Free Member

that could have been produced by a Formula One team”

No no where near I think all this carbon stuff came about because like cnc machines buying g a ply table is expensive to have sat doing nothing

Secondly it’s practical and would be useable something any f1 team immediately overlooks ,

robowns
    Free Member

I think it looks a mess and looks like a homebred special. Obviously that won’t impact the ride, but I wouldn’t buy one purely based on that.

rosscore
    Free Member

Which reminds me I also need to go to specsavers.

milky1980
    Free Member

Seems to me that it’s currently an engineer’s plaything, something to spur the creative juices into doing something without constraints. Like how the rear wheel is dishless and the rear brake mount is radial.

Hopefully it will spur them on to making even better stuff, if they do end up doing the whole bike then I would have no problems buying into their ‘standards’ as one phonecall for any part should be sufficient to keep it running for a decade or more.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

The issue I see with it is all of the non-standard parts on it. Suppose its not too much of a problem if you’re happy to keep throwing money at hope but you can’t really sell the frame only -it’d have to be frame, cranks, rear wheel at least.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Pretty sure it’s name is an homage to the awesome RB211 engine that staff there had involvement with back in the day.

For that reason alone it’s worth buying!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I suppose standards could be tweaked for a production version. They say in that news piece on their site that the wide crank and offset/wide hub achieve the same as boost but pre date it. So maybe they’d re design arround the standard boost.

On the other hand, big rear axles make sense by adding stiffness where it’s needed. And to be honest, there isn’t a hope component I’d not happily run on that sort of bike.

andyl
    Free Member

also needs hope brakes as they are radially mounted, none of this IS rubbish.

Want to go 160 to 180mm disc? simple, add a 10mm spacer. Want to go 203 add a 23mm spacer.

Riksbar

e awesome RB211 engine that staff there had involvement with back in the day.

Let’s just hope that innovating in carbon fibre doesn’t do to Hope what it did to Rolls-Royce back in 1971.

Love the bike though.

rondo101
    Free Member

Any idea when the carbon bars are available?

There was a Facebook video post by STW where I think it said January next year.

This one: https://www.facebook.com/singletrackmag/posts/10154149142068612

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seems to me that it’s currently an engineer’s plaything, something to spur the creative juices into doing something without constraints. Like how the rear wheel is dishless and the rear brake mount is radial.

This is what it is, a place to hang the ideas and float some stuff out there. Not a pre production bike but a test rig for lots of ideas at once. It’s also a nice showcase for their work which as has been proved will turn heads and let them punch above their weight at things like Eurobike. Whats that Shimano made a dropper – hang on have you seen that over at Hope!@@!@!@!

porter_jamie

Anyone know how post mount differs from the hope radial mount? Is it different centres? Looks like an motorbike radial mount on a fork – very nice

honourablegeorge

porter_jamie – Member

Anyone know how post mount differs from the hope radial mount? Is it different centres? Looks like an motorbike radial mount on a fork – very nice

The two mounting points are equidistant from centre of the disc – so to go from 180 to 200 you space out each bolt 20mm. Post mount isn’t centred, so there’s a different spacing for each bolt. Not sure there’s an advantage, necessarily.

rosscore
    Free Member

Why does this thread remind me of the marketing department asking the engineering department for some information on the new product?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The two mounting points are equidistant from centre of the disc – so to go from 180 to 200 you space out each bolt 20mm. Post mount isn’t centred, so there’s a different spacing for each bolt. Not sure there’s an advantage, necessarily.

Pretty much, the advantage is that the two bolts share the load evenly (although the load is actually transmitted by friction between the two surfaces) which means less flex in the mounts. I’m not sure a mountainbike had enough force in the brakes to make it noticeable (as opposed to ~250kg of GP motorbike and rider slamming on the brakes at 180mph).

Doubt it’ll catch on, unless Fox/shimano, or SRAM get behind it.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘HOPE HB 211?’ is closed to new replies.