Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope freehub and slx 10sp cassette
  • pedlad

Is the advice still to be on XT or above to stop the alloy freehub getting badly damaged or is slx ok?

ta

jimw
    Free Member

Whichever you chose make sure it is done up tight enough*, the issue is made much worse if left too loose

*tight enough = ef**in tight 40Nm IIRC

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah, but the better one is go XD and get rid of the issues

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    STATO
    Free Member

Yeah, but the better one is go XD and get rid of the issues

until you snap the splines on the cassette and have to destroy a £150 cassette to re-use the freehub. If you want to not have an issue then get the steel freehub, otherwise stick with SLX or above, grease, and do up correctly.

PJM1974
    Free Member

SLX should be fine and +1 for making sure the cassette lockring is tight.

My creaking Praxis press fit BB turned out to be nothing of the sort, I’d neglected to tighten my cassette properly. 😳

I’ve heard a few too many issues about the sheared retaining lockrings on XD cassettes that have resulted in an expensive replacement of cassette AND freehub for my liking. I’ll wait until this is resolved before I take the SRAM option.

jimw
    Free Member

But to go xD would probably mean:

New mech, new shifter new (expensive) cassette as well as chain and chainring

andysredmini
    Free Member

Xt cassettes. Plenty or grease and tightened to 40Nm means I have never had a problem using hope wheels since 1999.
    Had to force a few cheaper ones off friends bikes and file the splines back into shape.

pedlad

Thanks all. Will go xt I think

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope freehub and slx 10sp cassette’ is closed to new replies.