Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hope Freehub
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’ve been having some problems with a the freehub on one of my wheels.

Its a set of wheels I brought off here maybe a year ago, but dont use too much.

The hub is now 10mm and I use a 10mm QR thru axle. I dont know whether this was a conversion by the previous owner.

I’ve managed to get the freehub off. The problem is the bearing in the free hub dont seem to do anything they dont touch the silver axle. It looks like there should be another sleeve or a thicker axle or bearings with a smaller internal spacing.

This means the cassette wobbles quite a bit to say the least. Any ideas am I missing a bit or do I have an incompatible axle/freehub or something.

Smarty
    Free Member

What is the hub? hope I’m guessing but which one?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

if you post up pics it would help but from what i can remember on old bulbs. all the bearings where the same size through out so a diy bolt thou would have been possible.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Here is an image, a not very good one mind.

Not the space between the axle and the freehub bearing.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

oh yeah its a pro II

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Smarty
    Free Member

Thats a pro 3 bearing, can’t tell if it’s a pro 3 freehub without seeing the other end. Pro 2 freehub bearings are 15mm id

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh the end one should be a 6902 2rs IIRC : you need to get a new set of freehub bearings as I wouldn’t trust the inners unless they have the right code?

This might help?

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/hope-pro-ii-rear-hub-service.htm

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Cheers smarty. The bearings plus the internals are all the same size so Im going to guess its a pro III freehub

coatesy
    Free Member

Pretty sure that Pro 3 freehubs are different to pro 2, so it’s not just a case of swapping bearings(may be wrong though).

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hmm Im tempted to just try putting some kind of plastic sleeve (like the ones found with locks/mud guards.) in the hole just to stop the cassette wobbling not a great plan. But I hardly use the wheels and I’ve managed trips to wales/peaks + general riding with out even noticing the problem really.

Smarty
    Free Member

That is a pro 3 freehub, which as coatesy says is different to a pro 2, what you should have is 2 15×24 bearings together in the pawls end and a 15×28 in the threaded end and only one spacer between them. What you have is 2 17×26 bearings seperated by a spacer and a 17×28 seperated again by another spacer. You will have to change the freehub. see the Hope website for exploded drawing of the pro 2

foxyrider
    Free Member

Is it not just a pro2 freehub with pro3 bearings in it? Or do they have a wider external diam?

Smarty
    Free Member

Is it not just a pro2 freehub with pro3 bearings in it? Or do they have a wider external diam?

Pro 3 bearings do not fit in a pro 2 freehub. The smaller bearings (as there are 2 sizes in there) of the pro 3 has an outer diameter of 26 mm and are also in a different place within the freehub body. The smaller bearings in the pro 2 have only 24 mm diameter. The pro 2 and pro 3 freehubs are only the same on the outside, the internals are very different.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh OK – cheers – I’m up with the Pro2’s not the 3’s – I expect was designed like that to stop us swapping bits 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

I now stand corrected – Pro 3 better design not to stop us swapping bits 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I just stuck the plastic sleeve in the gap yesterday.

Went for a ride today using the same wheels. Seems fine now.

Probably will be back here in 6 months saying it all went wrong my whole hub exploded but hey ho !

Smarty
    Free Member

🙄

anderwho
    Free Member

It’s not a pro III hub, just the new Evo design. You need another conversion kit… [/url]
    I had exactly the same problem, let me know if you need an more details.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hope Freehub’ is closed to new replies.