Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • hope freehub
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

changed a cassette at the weekend on a hope freehub, and upon putting the cassette back on i noticed one of the rivets (the bits that engage/stick out on the freehub, various shapes that the cassette slides onto etc) was slightly missing a chunk of it on one of the raised bits (sorry for the poor description), only on one rivet and the whole cassette seemed to fit on fine and lock into place ok….question is should a be worried? the chunk missing off the raised bit only about .5cm if that but the width of one of the raised bits so about .5cm by .5cm ….is it going to catistrophically fail on me? i would have thought as the remainder of the raised bits on the free hub would have enough strength to hold it in place, with this missing bit?

sorry for the totally piss poor description 🙁

ohhh and also whats that tiny bit of metal on the bottom of cassette smallest cog, sits inbetween that and the lockring? really flimsy piece of metal? any importance as mine was crushed when tightening 🙁

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone? 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey’ let’s see a photo of exactly what you’re talking about, then we can all argue.

You need to understand that if you’re not one of the boys, no one will answer 😉

Especially if you need help!

No! better not, I have to get back to work! 😳

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

haha 😆

its all back together now, im sure its nowt really only a slight chunk missing out of one of the sticky out bits on the free hub, the caseette slides onto the rest of it ok, and locks in place just that tiny bit, im sure its not enough to cause it to fail and sit correctly….

but if thats ok, please tell me that little piece of metal was nothing major on the cassette, almost like a thick piece of tin foil, but ultimately flimsy as hell?? any ideas??

again apologies for the sheer terrible excuses of descriptions 😆

cullen-bay
    Free Member

wont fail but you might have to be careful taking it off. the alloy carriers are made of cheese so next time your replacing your freehub body be careful not to damage it!

thomthumb
    Free Member

are you talking about this?

it was the description, you’re right it was shite.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not exactly the same but a good picture, the raised bits on the gold freehub, at the end of opposite the hub, one of those raised bits has just taken a chunk out of it, the exact depth of the raised bit and about .5cm back in length, to the very edge of that specific raised bit….

how do i upload a photo, as i have no online storage to store one to show? i can send you the picture if it will make it easier 😆

foxyrider
    Free Member

It sounds like your smallest sprocket has dug into the SPLINES on your freehub body and gouged a big groove in it. I would try and do the lock ring up as tight as possible as it may spin again?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

foxy – that sounds about right, the splines sounds like the correct terminology 😆

how has it dug into it to do that thought? i tigtened it up as tight as, and it seemed sturdy and in place, and spun freely etc etc….

foxyrider
    Free Member

The smallest sprocket IIRC sits over the splines unlike the remaining sprockets. I expect under EXTREME torque 😉 It has slipped and dug into the body (which is soft aluminium alloy). This most often is evident as small nicks when a cassette not mounted on a alloy carrier is used i.e. Deore and each sprocket can move independent of on another. A cassette with most of the spockets riveted to the carrier are advised on on hubs with an allow freehub body. Unless I am imagining your case is wrong I think the last sprocket has spun. That said did you fit the last one correct as there is one small and one big spline on the last sprocket and if not located and then tightened would mash one of the splines?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahhh possibly, im sure i made it slide on correctly it was slightly different the last one on pg990 cassette, but im 99.9% positive it went in the alloted splines correctly, i suppose its cos i have overtightened it its dug in? i took it off and looked at it again after i had done it up once, and it went back on ok etc etc……

so it shouldnt be any further damaging you reckon? its not much of a area of gauging to be honest, considering there are numerous other splines on it to sit…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nah I would think its because it was a bit loose not over tight I would say and has spun a bit and dug in 🙂 Do it up to the correct torque ? 45nm and should be OK (I think it will be fine) – if not just get a new hope freehub body? You can get a steel one if you need to?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

somebody told me also, i would be able to tell if it hadnt gone on properly as it simply wouldnt go in due to the splines and how they are positioned etc, it defo slid on properly both times i took it off im sure of it….may have another looksy tonight though

i dont have a torque wrench that high so was done of feel only, just pretty much as tight as i could get it 😆 yeah freehub body’s aint that much so if it goes tits up ill be able replace it

foxy where can i get a torque wrench thats suitable for that job and others above 20-50 nm etc?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I use the cheapish draper one – It does me fine:

£20 – you can get cheaper ones mind you and more expensive ones 🙂

solar
    Free Member

Oscillate Wildly – dropbox.com, ace for photo uploading and sharing stuff between pcs

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers foxy looks just the trick, where do you get all the bits for it then? the sockets etc?

also how do you operate it to set at a specific nm? is there a dial you wind it into to choose the correct amount needed?

sounds good though for £20 nicker!

jamesb
    Free Member

Part of issue MAY be the cassette you`re using, as per previous thread alloy carriers are recommnded for the Hope alloy freehubs; and tehn correct tightening of the retaining of the retaining nut / collar should stop everything from slipping about.
    There has been this debate previously about which sprocket also generates maximun torque on the freehub splines (it will be teh larger sprockets as they have the greatest leverage being applied to teh freehub splines>>> think of them as long spanners acting on teh freehub)

foxyrider
    Free Member

The handle rotates to an indicator on the main body to set it to the correct torque – tis easy 🙂 Most people just “do it up as tight as possible” and this usually suffices 🙂

With regard to the above the biggest torque will not necessarily be biggest as depends what you are riding up i.e. you were in the wrong gear and started a sharp climb and then ground it out rather than shifting but theoretically yes? But not sure this is relevant here?

solar – Member

Oscillate Wildly – dropbox.com, ace for photo uploading and sharing stuff between pcs +1

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘hope freehub’ is closed to new replies.