Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hope Floating Rotor Problems
  • joespencer33
    Free Member

I’ve noticed recently that my hope rotors seem to be loose on the rivets between the middle and outer parts so if I flick them they rattle. however I can’t see how to tighten them.
    Any ideas what to do?

rickon
    Free Member

They’re not fixed. Its normal.

Loose ? You mean almost as if they are floating a bit ? 😉

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

One of my older hopes has a fair bit of float in it (more than others i own) seems to stay together ok though

Slogo
    Free Member

It’s suppose to be like that. don’t worry

legend
    Free Member

You’re allowed up to 1mm of play at the rotor: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/Technicalnotediscs(2).pdf

One of mine has play so small you cant actually measure it, but feels massive at the rim

joespencer33
    Free Member

alright no worries, Just wasn’t sure as there were solid when new, Tar.

simon1975

Are they 160mm? Mine always used to end up with play after a few months… No failures, though, but I didn’t like them.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

That’s one of the ‘characteristics’ that made me change to Shimano rotors.

ndthornton
    Free Member

160s always do this – after about a year or two of hard use for me.
    If you notice the rivets are smaller on the 160s than on the 180 and 200 rotors (these don’t have the same problem).

Despite what Hope say once they get like this they are worn out as far as I’m concerned and ready for the bin (being able to rock the bike back and forth with the brakes on is a no no).

I do still like them though as they definitely deal with heat better and don’t warp. So I still run them but only use 160s on the back of my lightweight bike and 180 or 200 everywhere else.

legend
    Free Member

Despite what Hope say once they get like this they are worn out as far as I’m concerned and ready for the bin

Based on expert opinion or paranoia?

ndthornton
    Free Member

all my opinions are expert – not that expert opinion is required here

When I put the brakes I don’t think its too much to ask that the bike stays put – not rock backwards and forwards

greeble
    Free Member

all my opinions are expert – not that expert opinion is required here

When I put the brakes I don’t think its too much to ask that the bike stays put – not rock backwards and forwards

you’re no expert then. apply the brake when riding the rotor will not move forward and backwards

ndthornton
    Free Member

never said i was riding

legend
    Free Member

I assume you flip out completely if your pads can move slightly within the caliper then?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yep
    for track standing its a pain in the arse

Blurboy
    Free Member

One of mine got so bad that it was vibrating when feathered, squealing and pad wear seemed excessive. Sent it back to Hope, out of warranty, and they replaced it FOC and sent the new one on an overnight. Only one of many I have had over the years that has ‘gone wrong’ . Customer service is superb – why not send it back to Hope for a verdict. I am sure they will be fair.

Northwind

They’re supposed to float but not to be outright loose/rattly, however it seems to be a “they all do that sir”, I had both of mine replaced on warranty and was quite happy to sell them on straight after. Chap in the shop said they’d stopped selling them as it was a pain in the bum, so many came back.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hope Floating Rotor Problems’ is closed to new replies.