Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Hope Enduro Wheelset
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Anyone using the Hope Enduro wheelset?
    Are they any good?

crouchingpig
    Free Member

Seem strong enough,
    Great if you like Hub noise,
    Smooth,
    only downside is weight I’d say. Good set of wheels around the £300 mark.

roach

It’s the weight that’s putting me off.

beano68
    Free Member

No problems with mine after 6 months … not arsed bout the weight ! ..cheap and strong thats all that matters 😮

roach

What kind of riding do you do beano?

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Bombproof. Will take a bit of weight any day over buckles and broken spokes you can’t easily replace because of your fancy £2k carbon rims.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’m not really blow away by the rims. I had some Flow EXs before which where much better.

I think these rims are too narrow. I have problems with my tyre rolling over and burbing, this never happened with my Flows running the same tyres at similar and lower pressures. Weight and strength are also a bit disappointing.

Hubs are spot on though!

andyjh

I have just fitted a set to my Orange Five 29’er, so far so good. I wanted a good solid wheel that I could trust for BPW and Afan trips, fits the bill for me as I didn’t want to worry about carbon.

beano68
    Free Member

Enduro mostly @roach, Mines taken a fair beating and still running true.

I do ride a few of the local trails but with a RR + HD fitted its a great wheelset

zero-cool
    Free Member

We’ve been battering a pair for the last year, tubeless and low pressure and they’re still straight and true without any flat spots. Hope Hubs are awesome as per usual. Initially a few of the spokes became a little loose, but 2 mins with a Spoke Key and they’ve been fine ever since (never had a set of wheels that didn’t need a quick re-tension after a week or so).

Easy to set up tubeless and lots of different axle options supported.

Also remember that hope have truly awesome after sales support. Probably the best company for this that I have ever had contact with

milky1980
    Free Member

SAme experience here as zero cool, lovely set of wheels. Replaced a set of Mavic XM819 on Hope hubs on my 5 which does uplift duties and all dayers, the Mavics were fine but a bit narrow. The Hopes are lighter and taking a pounding without flinching, just fit and forget. Will be looking at a set for the other bike when the wheels on that one dies.

renton
    Free Member

Andyjh…. interested to hear how you compare the hopes to the standard 5 29 wheelset if thats what you had!

reedspeed
    Free Member

Got some on my 5 ,after the stans buckled,and I’ve got purple hubs now ! ..

roach

Please somebody tell me I’d be no slower uphill with these wheels?

jedi

i had some. i ddint read the gumpf before ordering some. i thought they were tubeless rims not normal rims that you tape. i go through tyres quickly so it was a ballache to change and the tape moves and needs replacing etc…. tried easton havens too but went back to mavic crossmax’s fit and forget and tyre changes take a minute 🙂

zero-cool
    Free Member

Sorry, 26 for life here so no idea how they compare to other 29er rims.

bikeneil
    Free Member

and the tape moves and needs replacing etc

How did the self adhesive tape move on the rim?

LoCo
    Free Member

Run a tech xc & tech enduro rear on my 29er trail race hartail, pretty good harder to seat tubeless tyres than the previous stans rimmed 26″ hope wheelset I had before.

jedi

tape moved on mounting tyre. then gets gunk on it and needs replacing as it dont stick.
    #also26forlife

benpinnick

tape moved on mounting tyre. then gets gunk on it and needs replacing as it dont stick.

Yeah the rim profile of the Hope rims is definitely sub-optimal for taping. Its very deep and awkward to do (but possible!).

Potdog
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight thread hijack but Hope Enduro Wheels For Sale

cakefacesmallblock

2 months, approx 350miles in with mine, 27.5.
    Had 26″ flows on my old bike. New wheels are straight and true, no loose spokes. Local, (Wyre) , Laggan, Glenlivet, FOD, Lakes haven’t hurt em yet.
    Not sure about weight; went from 3×9 / 26 / qr, to 27.5 / 2×10 / bolt through, in one go so lots to get used to, but they seem like a great balance between strength and acceleration to me.
    Like ’em.

andyjh

Andyjh…. interested to hear how you compare the hopes to the standard 5 29 wheelset if thats what you had!

Sorry Renton, I didn’t have a standard wheelset on there previously so I can’t comment.

Personally I found them quite easy to tape up and would be very surprised if the tape was going anywhere. Not aware of many wheels that are tubeless ready without tape although I do own one set myself.

jezzep

Three bikes running them, yes a slight pain to tape but not that bad. Bomb proof and a damn site better than the Mavic crossride disks I had on one bike. I’m a bit of a hope hub fan so now all bikes running hope hubs of one sort or the other now…

JeZ

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’m finding the same issue as some of the guys above with the angled rim bed and the 25mm gorilla tape I’ve always used successfully before.No issues setting it up but if I need to change a tyre/fix puncture the tape is unsettled easily and seal is broken as the bumps underneath tape seem to already be lifting it at the edges allowing sealant to ingress.

smatkins1
    Free Member

That’s interesting to see/hear gravesendgrunt.

I thought it was just me being a tad incompetent having ongoing problems getting the tape to create a nice seal with these rims.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I think I much preferred the non bumpy non angled tape friendly rim profile of the Flow Ex Hopes 🙁

benpinnick

Yeah that deep groove is nice for tubed tyres but a PITA for tubeless. We’re selling quite a few of these now, so we’ve gone and sourced a new rim tape for the job thats like stans but half the thickness and a bit more pliable, meaning you can do a few wraps to get proper coverage and some good adhesion without making the bed too thick. One wrap on and inflate the tyres (no goo) to get a good stick over the bead lock bump, then tyres off again and 2 more wraps to build the strength up.

The things you have to do!

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Where did you get the thin rim tape Ben if you don’t mind me asking 🙂 ?

survivor

I’ve just setup my enduro 29 yesterday and used gorilla tape. I can see where the problems could come from due to the internal shape. I did tear a mm or two from the edge of the tape but would a better solution not just be to tear the tape in the middle and just stick it down the central channel and not nover the bumped section. Gorilla tape tears easy and follows the tear down the roll as you go. Has anyone tried this?

jamesy01
    Free Member

Gorilla tape tears easy and follows the tear down the roll as you go. Has anyone tried this?

An easy way of doing this is to use a book the same thickness of tape that you require, lay a knife on top and then cut in to the tape and rotate the roll to give a uniform thickness of cut through several layers of tape. Was handy in the days before 25mm tape was available in homebase.
    A decent idea to just tape in the groove, however the extra layers of tape are handy if your tyre is ‘baggy’

thegreatape
    Free Member

I found them dead easy to do with Superstar tape. Cleaned them really thoroughly first with IPA, and pulled the tape really tight when applying which made it kind of sink down into the groove, and that workd fine.

andyjh

Same for me apart from I used Stan’s tape. Pulling it very tight seemed to be the trick but both wheels taped up and sealed first go.

sprocker
    Free Member

I have some and am really impressed after a couple of months which included a week in the Alps, tape is a bit of a pain but once done they have been fine for 3 tire changes. Had one loose spoke which was Mis timed ditch on the mega qualifier. Hope flows I was having to have trued all the time and never rated them that much

RickSpangle
    Free Member

Just bought the xc wheelset in 29er. Asked Hope how their XC and enduro stack up against Stans for some indication.

XC in between crest and flow.
    Enduro same as if not tougher than Arch.

I wanted wheels to last but didn’t want to lug the enduros (they are heavy!!) round on my hardtail riding (mainly fast (ish) XC over the chase.

jamesoz

Currently trying to get the valve lock ring to seal on mine, they are are a ball ache to set up tubless and the tape can move.
    Mine came back from the Mega well dinged. A bit of time with an adjustable spanner and they nearly look like a two week old wheel set should do! They didnt crack on straightening and stayed pretty true despite me getting so many flats in practice I ran out of everything and had to walk down to buy a new tyre, tube and repair kit.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Try the Superstar valves, the bung is conical and makes a good seal, others are a block which I don’t reckon is as good.

benpinnick

Gravesendgrunt I had to get some made but I experimented with the tesa version first (same product line as the stans tape – just a thinner version). That worked pretty well but was slightly too thin for workshop/assembly use but fine for casual use as you could before careful than I’d like to have to be. Once layered up its good and strong, just the first layer needs more care.

http://uk.farnell.com/tesa/tesa-4287-25mm/tape-strapping-pp-25mm-66m/dp/1775773?ost=1775773&mckv=C0r9mUFB&CMP=KNC-GUK-FUK-GEN-SHOPPING-TESA&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CO_qpou09MYCFTDLtAodDLwKqw&CAWELAID=120173390000094870&gross_price=true

jamesoz

Gave up and took the tyre off. There is a couple of holes in the rim apart from the spoke holes I hadn’t spotted, so I made a couple of rim strips from 24″ tubes and they went up a treat, no compressor needed. Heavier but if it means u can change a tyre with only a track pump, then it’s staying that way.

benpinnick

Just got the first batch of the new tape in. Looks really good – one wrap into the spoke bed and then two over the top for strength. Seals up nicely!

Some Hope Enduro Rims Earlier 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Hope Enduro Wheelset’ is closed to new replies.