Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Hope chain guide
  • RicB

Anyone used one of these yet?

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG430

1×10 beckons and I’ll need a chain device. My Evil Sovereign has ISCG05 tabs so I figure I may as well take advantage.

The main downside I spotted was the fact I’ll need a bashring, as the retention block only has one side. Chain will fall off to the outside without a bashring.

Slogo
    Free Member

kudos to hope for making you buy their bash ring too.

I would just buy the E13 chain guide.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

BBG bashrings are about £11

RicB

True but thats £11 more than nothing, as I don’t need a bashring

Plus it’s a bit more weight

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hope do their single ring with built in bash/guard, it’s not a seperate bash ring.

RicB

Thanks for the links but as I said in my OP, I’d rather have an ISCG mount, and the Hope is the only ISCG xc top guide I can find

I’d rather rotary sand my testicles than buy something from SS!

RicB

Just seen the prices for the Hope integrated bash ring

http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/Hope-Integrated-Bash-Ring-32t-BK-20121114020101/

£70!

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

That integrated bash ring seems like a really terrible idea. £70 for something that is completely consumable with a lifespan of maybe a year max.

No reason not to just get a BB mount e*thirteen XCX though – just because the ISCG tabs are there you don’t have to use them..

svalgis
    Free Member

Thanks for the links but as I said in my OP, I’d rather have an ISCG mount, and the Hope is the only ISCG xc top guide I can find

Alright. I know I’ve recently seen that being asked (here or perhaps on some other forum) without results I’m afraid – there doesn’t seem to be one.You could buy a full guide and remove the bottom part but that won’t look very neat. I would just go the BB mounted route.

And yeah, the price for the IBR is just too much. If it was a one time purchase, fine, 200% the cost of other SS chainrings is okay since the bash is included. The fact that you have to repeat that cost every time you have to replace the chainring (which is twice as often, as you can’t flip it around when it’s getting worn), well that just makes it a no-go for me. It does looks great though.

RicB

I figure ISCG will be a bit more secure, esp if I whack the guide with my foot.

Plus less chance of the chain line being affected compared to a BB mount

svalgis
    Free Member

Of course I’d definitely prefer ISCG if I had them, but I honestly think you’re out of luck in this case. Unless you can get used to the thought of using a bash that is. 😉

RicB

I guess there isn’t much of a market for ISCG mount top guides because not many xc bikes will have the tabs

I appreciate economies of sale come into it but chain guides seem ridiculously overpriced. Some of the full guides cost as much as a pair of XTR shifters!

RicB

Svalgis- considering my hard tail weighs in at 31lb I can probably cope with a few grams for a bash after all :-p

svalgis
    Free Member

I guess there isn’t much of a market for ISCG mount top guides because not many xc bikes will have the tabs

I think you’re right.

I can really recommend the BBG. You can flip them around if you don’t want the boring logo on the driveside, which makes them look okay (or good, even – I personally I prefer them to more bling stuff).

Now, as for experience about the Hope guide, I can’t help you there, but I’m curious as well.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m looking at this too – either BB mount or seat tube low mount (if it fits the Soul’s skinny seat tube). Whatever gathers least mud and is least prone to slipping position…

RicB

If i cant get an ISCG, I’m currently favouring seat tube mounts as I suspect adjusting it on the trails will be much easier than adjusting a BB mounted guide. 5mm Allen key or BB spanner…

RicB
    GeForceJunky

The seat tube mounted version looks small enough to fit between the shock and seat tube on the Giant Anthem which is great. I currently have a proper bodge job superstar one on backwards as nothing else looked like it would fit and you can use a BB one because no tabs and press fit bearings! Such a shame its designed for a bashring 🙁

jumpingj
    Free Member

I have one on mine – love it ….
    pics here:-
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mondraker-foxy-xr-2013

reggiegasket
    Free Member

another option is the straitline silent guide… similar in some ways to the hope, and works really well, and you get a lower guide, which the Hope doesn’t have.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If the ring lasts like much e-13 guide ring then I’d pay 70 it was still good after years.

somafunk

I’ve recently fitted one to my bike running a Zee Shadow+ rear mech, very happy with it and it looks nice so there you go – mtb’r admitting to caring bout how something looks shocker.

Previously i ran a pauls components chain device and renthal ring as below – this worked perfectly fine but i wanted to try the hope setup as our customers were asking about it and i like to test stuff before selling it, and anyway…..i’ve always wanted a gold bling ring.

elsubstar
    Free Member

somafunk– Hows the Hope chain guide going? I am thinking of buying one to work with an existing bash. My only concern is my seatpost is 30.9 does it come with shims to fit? Suppose i can always bodge it to fit if it doesnt…

chiefgrooveguru

somafunk- Hows the Hope chain guide going? I am thinking of buying one to work with an existing bash. My only concern is my seatpost is 30.9 does it come with shims to fit? Suppose i can always bodge it to fit if it doesnt…

Ditto! (Minus the bodging, I’m not bodging something that expensive…)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Why could i not use a hope chain device (the bash guard one) without a bash guard? The device sits over the chain and if it cannot “leap” off the top of the teeth the chain cannot come off can it??

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bump

dsb181
    Free Member

Good question.
    It would save people buying the IBR ring if they didn’t actually need a bash guard. I’d be interested to know if anybody is running a standard hope chainring and the guide.

Vortexracing

quite funny looking at peoples comments on the cost, when on the other thread about chainrings

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wolf-tooth-components-xx1-type-chainring

people are happy to pay £55 -£60 for a chainring WITHOUT a bashguard.

sorry can’t comment on it’s performnace, but i’m considering one for the Cotic as they look so neat and tidy, just not sure if my legs can push 1 x 10 🙁

dsb181
    Free Member

I don’t think that is the argument, it’s guide vrs no guide.

crankrider
    Free Member

I don’t think that is the argument, it’s guide vrs no guide. [/quote]

I think its more than £55-60 inc delivery, but does have a real benefit, while the hope one is just a standard ring and bash combo.

My concern with that is if you hit the bash hard and bend it, you will likely bend the ring so write the whole lot off.

Northwind

Vortexracing – Member

Not really a comparison is it? If they work as promised, the dualthickness chainrings do something standard ones can’t, and there’s a fair bit more machining and development compared to a normal chainring.

Whereas with the Hopes, you’re comparing with a normal chainring and a normal bash, which you can buy for the same price, and not have to replace the whole thing when the ring wears.

robbonzo
    Free Member

You can certainly buy the hope guide without the chainring/bash, and I reckon it would still work without, be interested to hear if someones tried it. Its run so close to the chain, it looks like it cant bounce off.. Also Ethirteen have a new top guide which is ISCG mounted.

honourablegeorge

Here – top guide, ISCG05, with integrated bash for 32t – size and ISCG Variations on there too, and fairly cheap

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MRP-AMG-Chain-Retention-System-28-32T-ISCG-05-Black-/400454414375?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3cf17027#ht_2128wt_989

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Hope chain guide’ is closed to new replies.