Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope ceramic or king bb?
  • garethh
    Free Member

I think my Shimano bb has just died so a hope is 75 and I can get a king from aspire velotech for 87, but which will be best?? Any opinions?

Cheers,

sheldona
    Free Member

I’ve completed 3 rides totally 50 miles on my Chris King 🙂
    Its outlasted 3 Superstars, 1 Shimano and a Raceface already!

On a serious note the King is a great piece of kit! Not fitted a Hope one to anything to balance things up so can’t comment on them.

singlespeedstu

King has to be the winner IF you also get the grease toll and use it on a regular basis.

garethh
    Free Member

Have many people bought the grease gun attachment thing? I reckon you could maybe bodge one together, how will the king bearing compare to the hope ceramics?

ted34
    Free Member

Superstar ceramic.

Biggest thing with hollowtech 2 bb’s is to remove the plastic dust cap, then the rubber seal of the bearing and put some grease in – the factories only ever put a tiny smear of thin grease.

Have a guide if anyone needs – email me if you want it:
    e31ddie at hotmail.com

sq225917
    Free Member

Sheldona., if all you get is 50 miles from a BB then.
    A. you frame needs facing and chasing.
    B. you need to stop riding underwater.
    C. you need to leave the jetwash alone.
    D. you need to stop water collecting at the bottom of your seat tube.
    E. All of the above.

My santa cruz needed the seat tube sealing at the bottom, water used to piss up off the back wheel and end up pooling around the bottom bracket

singlespeedstu

garethh – Member

Have many people bought the grease gun attachment thing?

I have one.

As for the poopershite ceramic I’d save your money for something else if I were you.
    I’ve worn two of em out in a relatively short time.

boxelder

I’m running an Acros ceramic (2 yr warranty and no problems in 8 months so far) and a superstar ceramic (3/4 months and running fine)
    TBH I’ve not had any X type BB wear out really quickly (Shimano, RF and now these two). The only problems I’ve had have been some temporary ‘grunchiness’ when I haven’t used the bike for a couple of weeks after a wet ride (I’ve a few to choose from) – I reckon due to sq225917’s point D above. Riding them for a while free’s them up.
    ted’s regreasing tip will improve the situation I reckon.

garethh
    Free Member

singlespeed stu – how much did it cost if you don’t mind me asking, is that the mango colour, thought about black but that looks really nice!

singlespeedstu

I think it was $50. From Aspire Velo.(you were asking about the tool wern’t you)

The Mango is indeed nice.

higgo
    Free Member

To add another one to the mix, I’ve just put a Token Tiramic (from Wiggle) on one of my bikes. The cranks spin and spin and spin in a way I’ve never seen from a HT2 type BB. I can’t comment on durability as I’ve only done 2 dry rides with it so far.

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the King, so don’t know if any of the following applies to it. I bought a Hope ceramic before the King came out. Its been fine for a year or so. But in my opinion you need to budget an extra few quid for some replacement aluminium spacers to replace the useless plastic ones that come with the Hope BB. The plastic ones squirm and deform as soon as the cups are tightened above about 15NM. With the aluminium spacers you can torque it up nice and tight to the usual 40NM. I got my replacement spacers from Velosolo (Google them).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope ceramic or king bb?’ is closed to new replies.