Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • hope /castleton /stannington area (walking content)
  • sadexpunk

few of us renting a barn out for the next week near stannington. got an OS map and a book of walks, and know the area fairly well from biking, but are there any decent walks around there that arent too long? not all of us will be up for any ‘gruellers’ and thinking of the hot weather, may start to flag. so thinking about pub stops, water for us and a couple of dogs too.

anything to recommend near there, pubs, walks, cafes? its tempting to walk the bike routes, but itd be easy to forget its a lot quicker by bike than walking! 🙂

thanks

antigee

Bradfield is only a few km from Stannington with good walking

http://www.bradfield-walkers.org.uk/
    top pub The Old Horns good views but so so beer
    Bradfield Brewery just across the road sells beer to take away
    bottom pub good beer

loops including Bamford and Stanage Edges would be good walks which you can’t ride – bit vague I know but I’m sure google is your friend -Similar along and up Derwent Edge where most riders turn downhill and then back to Strines road for a beer at the Strines Inn though I’d avoid parking at the carpark where the track meets the road at the bottom of the hill
    And any walk Hope end of Edale that visits the Cheshire Cheese

sadexpunk

good stuff, thanks 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickhart
    Free Member

if you want a nice level walk then rivelin valley has a nice nature trail in it. pub half way along or at the bottom of stannington, neither are sparkling just locals.
    there is wyming brook off the a57, there’s a fire road which is better as an ascent and then walk down the footpath next to the stream, very beautiful and one of those places you can’t believe sheffields just a couple of miles away.
    get up to lodge moor for walks and food (use you’re OS maps to find the paths) there’s the three merry lads and the sportsman. I always get them mixed up, one’s ok for food but the other one is better! the better one only takes cash. I think that’s the sportsman.
    if you don’t mind a bit of a drive before your walk you could get over to padley gorge and go down to the cafe at grindleford station.
    to be honest you have the whole of the peaks on your doorstep. there are some lovely walks on the strines and a reasonable put up there by the same name.
    plenty to go at! enjoy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘hope /castleton /stannington area (walking content)’ is closed to new replies.