Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Hope Cassette durability
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Just converted my bike to 1×10 as an experiment. Basically to find out which gears i miss most.

Currently 34x 11-36

The plan is to go 1×11

To this end i could use a Shimano cassette, or buy a new free hub and try a Sram or a Hope ( i have a pro 4 hub so both options are available)

Can anyone offer some real world idea of the durability of Hope cassettes, and do they sell the halves separately???

If it helps i hate going down hill and am only really interested in going up hill.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, the halves are available separately, which is why I’ll tolerate a bit if wear on the alu section.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine arrived today. Ask me this question in about 6 months time.

kayak23

If it helps i hate going down hill and am only really interested in going up hill.

Weirdo 😉

Unless you actually want to spend more money, for the sake of 1 tooth at the small end, there are some brilliant cassettes out there from the likes of Sunrace that don’t require their own hubs. Might suit.

damascus
    Free Member

Mines just arrived. I need to rebuild my wheels so I can fit it. I went for the 10-44. As a bit of a weight weenie I went for hope over the competition. I’m interested in how it wears as it’s not a cheap option.

How much is half a cassette? I didn’t know that was available.

The quality of the cassettes seems very good

10-40

10-44

charliemort

£75 for half cassette

I just had to get one after 6 months – chain slipping on alloy sprockets. One particularly horrific sandy enduro killed it. Will also fit new chain and see how everything runs

So jury’s out at the moment – see how it goes over summer.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for the update. I’m liking mine so far but it’s only a few rides old.

charliemort

I spoke to Hope about it.

They were refreshingly northern -“if you want it light it will wear out! – that’s why we made the alloy bit replacable”. I asked how many alloy halves they’d expect per steel half – dunno yet!

Deffo makes sense to run a few chains with these expensive cassettes I think, and keep swapping them

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yeah, just got multiple chains to go with mine. Wonder if they’ll ever offer the top half in steel for winter use.

It’s an open standard so other cassettes may come out as well.

honourablegeorge

charliemort – Member
    I spoke to Hope about it.

They were refreshingly northern -“if you want it light it will wear out! – that’s why we made the alloy bit replacable”.

Thing is, it’s not actually that light, is it? 261 for a 10-40 versus SRAM’s 10-42 at the same weight.

So same weight give or take a few grams as an X01/XX1 cassette, similar price, but Sram ones have 10 steel cogs.

My experience with alloy cassette cogs is the same as the chap above – a day or two in sandy conditions, or a big bloke standing on the pedals and pushign hard, and the game can be up.

Personally don’t see any value in these.

charliemort

How about a big bloke standing in the pedals in sand ??! (15 ish stone )

It is 4th gear that is slipping so yes the steel sram cogs may have avoided this

charliemort

okay – stuck the new half cassette on and ran it with existing chain (because new one hadn’t arrived), which was 1/16th inch worn – ran fine. Stuck new chain on this evening and that is fine too.

So I reckon you may even get 3 alloy bits to one steel bit if you swap chains around, but time will tell

Onzadog
    Free Member

🙂 keep the updates coming.

Thinking I might want to try a wolfcage on mine to help tweak the shifting though.

Might have to consider a group buy as there’s no UK importer now.

Max
    Free Member

Four months use and on the third chain swap two of the alloy sprockets are worn enough to slip. The outer two alloy and all the steel sprockets are still ok.

davosaurusrex

Funk dat. 2500 miles on a 10 speed XT with oneup expander cog so far. Just ordered a new chain, hope to get at least another 500 out of it

vincienup
    Free Member

If comparing this to XX1 1195 (265g) and wondering in the same breath about durability, you need to remember construction is very different – Lot more steel in the 1195 but it’s all one piece and a lot of CNC time apart from the big sprocket. Still pushing twice the price, will be interesting to see how long these alloy half clusters hold up relative. I believe the big sprocket on SRAM cassettes is 3rd party replaceable.

King of the 11sp durability pretty much has to be the full pin GX 1150 is all steel – no alloy sprockets at all – 394g and street price of £75-80. Obviously not the lightest but still less weigh than XT.

Seems likely that if the Hope offering (slightly smaller range) is 261g for twice the price with half alloy, if they offered all steel it would weigh about this much.

411g for M8000 11-40 so versus Shimano I can certainly see the ‘very nearly half the weight for just twice the price’ sales pitch…

vincienup
    Free Member

Onzadog, Wolftooth stuff is available in Germany from R2 (links off Wolftooths’ US page, rest of world section below US dealers…)

No duty from Germany 🙂 (yet)

damascus
    Free Member

The hope has a 10t lowest cog. It’s the first time I’ve run one on the mtb and I’m amazed how much difference it made to pedalling at speed.

So far I’ve been impressed with the cassette. The only thing I’ve noticed is when I’m in the wrong gear going up hill and I try and shift up to 1st. It seems to go up the cogs so quickly which on a 10-44 is a large range, that it sounds like the rear mech is going to get stuck and snap. It doesn’t, but it’s made me plan my gears better.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Vincienup, thanks but they only do the wolfcage with the giant cog.

honourablegeorge

Shark cage from OneUp is the same idea

SHARK Cage

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was considering starting a thread comparing the two.

Wolftooth claims to be easier to fit but uses a proprietary hockey wheel.

One up is less aesthetically pleasing but easier to source in the UK.

rosscardwell
    Free Member

Im 6 months in and skipping quite a bit now. Wouldnt say I’ve done loads of miles in the last 6 months either. Swapped chains 3 times so was hoping I would’ve got longer out of it.

Poopscoop

Really?

Looks like I’ll be sticking with the GX cassette then.

damascus
    Free Member

Put the old chain on and swop between the first chain and the second chain and ride it into the ground.

A new chain skipping is not necessarily the cassette wearing top quickly.

SirHC

X01 cassette on my hard tail is dead, its done 3000miles, 3 chains and a few chainrings. I’ve had my monies worth.

Whats the durability of the lower steel cogs like? The reason I ask is I spend a large proportion of my time in the smaller gears (warwickshire has very few hills!). 34t chainring is as big as I can run. Whats draws me to the hope cassette is the ability to change the lower gears, rather than having to ditch the whole cassette.

damascus
    Free Member

My hope cassette update.

After over a years use the rear cassette started to play around. Changed cables and checked index but made no difference.

I put a new chain on but in 3rd and 4th it would jump. After a 15 mile ride it got better but not enough to stay on.

Ordered a new top half alliminium section and swopped it over and it runs fine.

I’ve checked the bottom steal half and it shows no sign of wear.

Although this was an expensive outlay If I just have to replace the top half its going to work out cheaper.

How are the rest of you getting on with the hope cassette ?

pipiom
    Free Member

Mine lasted 2 years…..still hasn’t fully died, but I retired it, and immediately bought another…..,just make sure you use their recommended rear mech…SRAM that is, anything Shimano requires an awful lot of fettling to get right

damascus
    Free Member

just make sure you use their recommended rear mech…SRAM that is, anything Shimano requires an awful lot of fettling to get right

Is that right? I’d never seem this before.

I run the 44 with an xt rear mech with no problems. A friend ran a 48 with an xtr mech but that just wouldn’t work. We thought it was because the xtr wouldn’t work with more than 42t.

We never thought it was a shimano thing. More an xtr over xt.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Think I’m on my third or fourth alu top section but still on the first steel bit. Running with a Shimano mech with a one up shark tooth, all works well.

pipiom
    Free Member

Damascus……my original 10-44 ran badly with XTR, so this was replaced for an XT……when I decided to renew, I went for the 10-48; not a chance with the Shimano (even though LBS called Hopetech and they said it should be ok, albeit with some fettling)…..went back to 10-44 and still having problems trying to set it up (LBS has spoken to Hopetech and they are now saying SRAM is a better bet for rear mech)……bike is with LBS now while I’m on hols……we shall see……wish I’d gone for GX Eagle in fairness.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Hope Cassette durability’ is closed to new replies.