Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope Bulb front hub conversion to 15mm
  • y0eddy
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I know that Hope didnt make 15mm adapter for the old Bulb 6 Bolt front hub. But in the forum archives I’ve read that you can mod the current 15mm Pro2 adapter by machining 5mm off one side.

I dont have access to a lathe or any precision drilling machines to do the mod myself.

Can anyone help machine one for me? Or hopefully have a they no longer need?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Did I mention in your wanted ad I also have access to a lathe?

y0eddy
    Free Member

wysiwyg do you also have access to a drill press? 😀

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Why?

scaredypants

scaredypants – Member

OK,

I made some and it was a piece of piss

Member on here called creaser was selling machined-out pro2 QR adaptors as 15mm. Turned out that they worked fine for that purpose because they are the same as the 15mm ones regarding internal diameter, just with some extra 9mm guff on the ends. He was selling the machined ones cheaply and, since I knew I was going to further butcher at least one end, I thought I’d take a chance on them. They were really nicely machined FWIW. I did wonder if people would be interested in getting him to machine these bulb sets poshly but fiured not many folk still used bulbs

I’d had a look at a set of the QR ones against a bulb before and already wondered if I could bulbify them easy enough. In fact all you need to do (for a 6 bolt bulb – I learnt today that 5 bolt are different) is chop off a bit of one of the end pieces, just at the point where the (easily removable) silvery metal ring sits. I used a hacksaw – it’s very soft alloy – and then tarted it up a little with a file.

SO, get some 15mm caps and chop one up. I’m as close to certain as I can be that the “real” 15mm ones will work the same, though mine were machined-down QR ones as I said up there

y0eddy
    Free Member

@wysiwyg – Is your QR adapter for sale with a 15mm drill out? 😉

@scaredypants – Thanks mate, if all else fails I’ll man up and give it a good.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Im just wondering how you’d screw it together as the hex heads would be drilled out too.

y0eddy
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at mine and I think I can get away with the shallow QR cap being drilled and use a Pro2 cap for the other side.

Then push fit them both on like normal Pro2 end caps.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just there won’t be an oring stopping it falling out.

We just need to talk turkey, the qr axles on their own don’t go cheaply.

y0eddy
    Free Member

Both parts of my QR axle fit snug independent of each other and need a firm push/pull to get ’em off.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Jobs a goodun then.

y0eddy
    Free Member

Cool if you’re happy to sell me a drilled out QR cap, email me your price cheers 😀

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Did it work?

y0eddy
    Free Member

Its bang on thanks.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Marvelous!

I shall start production when we get back to work if anyone else wants one?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope Bulb front hub conversion to 15mm’ is closed to new replies.