• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jes.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hope Brakes – X2 vs V2
  • jk1980
    Free Member

Hi,

Does anyone know the difference between the Hope Tech V2 Evo and Hope Tech X2 Evo brakes? I see the V2s are more expensive, so I assume they’re better, but wanted to check.

These are only going on a hardtail, but i do much more AM/freeride/DH than XC, even though its a hardtail. Will they be good enough? I imagine the M4s would be overkill for a hardtail but wanted to check.

Thanks

Conan257
    Free Member

V2 = Mooooar poooowaaaaa….

In terms of power, in theory. X2<M4<V2. I would say M4 front, X2 rear is probably fine for you. M4/M4 if you really want to look hardcore.

neninja
    Free Member

V2 have massive pistons I think and are more powerful than the M4’s.

X2 is a more XC biased lighter system. You’ll want M4 or V2 for DH.

stevomcd
    Free Member

We’ve seen some issues with heat on X2s in the Alps, never on V2s.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m using Race M4 Evo 183/160 on a similar hardtail and they’re great! Power and feel. I considered X2 or X2 rear but I thought the extra power and bigger pads were worth having up front and I didn’t want two different pads to carry.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just been bashing around stanage on a hard tail today with v2 both ends. They were sweet.

nickf
    Free Member

V2 for my DH bike and my Patriot. X2 for my others.

ruscle
    Free Member

V2’s on my asr-5 as they are the best in any situation

skybluestu
    Free Member

Hijacking somewhat, can you use 180mm mounts for the 183mm Hope rotors or do you need the specific hope mounts?

ruscle
    Free Member

Maybe if you stuck some washers in for spacing

Onzadog
    Free Member

Washers might work but if you’re doing it, why not do it right. The mounts are a lot cheaper than the brakes.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I would just go for the v2s, sure they are a bit heavier but you will never be looking for extra performance. I’ve regularly seen them still provide service while saints, formulas and avids have shat themselves.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – I’m glad I asked now, I had no idea that the V2s were more powerful than the M4s!

This really isn’t clear at all from Hope’s website – they should state the type of riding that each of the brakes is supposed to be used for.

X2s are out for me. Having looked into it a bit more I see that the weight of the M4s is quite a bit lower than the V2, so I think I’m probably going to get the M4

mikewsmith
    Free Member

M4’s 1 year in (not the evos) On 200mm floating rotors and a 34lb “trail” bike awesome plenty of power lots of feel . Ridden Alps, Lakes, Peak, Tasmania and Mini Dh today. Never boiled, not overheated despite the best efforts of Stevomcd and his team 🙂

snaps
    Free Member

This really isn’t clear at all from Hope’s website – they should state the type of riding that each of the brakes is supposed to be used for.

They do

I normally use Mono M4s with 183mm discs but I put the V2s with 203mm discs on for the Alps trips, never had a single issue with them & 10 days riding in Alp D’Huez last year only half wore a new set of Hope organic pads.

godzilla
    Free Member

Ive run M4 for years and they have been superb, I can’t recommend them enough, Alps Lakes Dales for 6 months and are still on original pads! Just picked up a set of V2’s for my holiday bike and I’m hoping they arnt going to be overkill.

jes
    Free Member

Run 2 sets of V2’s on a 160 and 180 mm FS bikes and they are bomb and Alps proof even for a biffer but overkill on a hard tail.
    Run 2 older sets of M4’s one on a AM 160 and a HT great for UK trail and light DH duties and would have even better modulation with the Tech levers.

Not used X2’s but heard good things though, may be an option if your fairly light.

M4’s FTW I think.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hope Brakes – X2 vs V2’ is closed to new replies.