Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope Brakes – which ones?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

I’m looking to upgrade my brakes to Hope.
    Which ones should I go for?
    Mainly trail centres and natural type of riding.
    I like to have solid braking with a bit of modulation.
    Mix and match?

creamegg
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of tech 3’s v4’s which I’ve had since December and I really rate them. Best brakes I’ve used ( had other hopes in past as well as current shimano xt’s). They’re not cheap and the xt’s are prob better value for money but who cares about that? 🙂

The v4’s are their dh brakes but they do other variations too

discapade
    Free Member

U want x2 evo mate..perfect

Gribs

How fat/fast are you? I’m fat but middling pace and get on fine with Tech m4’s.

tmb467
    Free Member

Perceived best option is an M4 front and X2 rear. If you can get the tech levers then go for those (think the latest ones are the tech 3 – was tech 2 Evo before that)

Race levers have no adjustment in case you wondered what the difference was

Rotors – probably 203/180 or 180/160 if you’re a decent rider.

If you’re a lightweight then you could probably get away with an X2 upfront. I’m not so I’ve got two m4s and 2×203 rotors

OrangeLad
    Free Member

I went for race e4 and race x2 front and rear with 183/160mm rotors so far haven’t been left wanting at all. I’m 80kg with kit riding a 25lb 130mm full bouncer doing the sort of riding you mention. Like others have said there is no adjust with the race lever but personally I’d have spent ages faffing around to get the feel the same as the race out of the box.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have M4 with tech levers, braided hoses and floating rotors – really excellent. All very Gucci and overkill really but I care more about being in control as I’m a mincer really. Shop advised me to go 180/160 even on my “big alps” bike as I ride pretty slowly and prefer technical riding than screaming down the trails. The fact is I wanted a nice setup so I bought these, overkill I’m sure but it makes me happy 🙂 the stopping power and modulation are excellent and i rode on everytyhing from muddy uk trails (inc steep stuff) to rocky dustry alpine chutes. My LBS pointed out that x2 will more than do for most xc / trail centre type riding in UK but occasionally at least you’ll want the confidence of knowing you have more stopping power and the cost payup for the Gucci setup isn’t so great. Hope is a great British success story so support them.

warpcow
    Free Member

Aye, Race Evo X2 all-round or M4/E4 front X2 rear would be my choice for that kind of riding. Actually, my choice was Race Evo X2s and they’re great (with my 95kg on an LTHT). Played around with the tech 2 levers on a demo bike from my LBS and wasn’t that bothered about the extra bits.

fivespot
    Free Member

Hope Tech 3 E4’s best Hope brakes I have had. I have had the Race Evo M4’s and X2’s, nice and light, but the Tech 3 E4’s are just that bit better, mainly because of the superb lever adjustment. Only £240 from Rush cycles for a set > http://www.rushcycles.co.uk/m2b7s529p4749/HOPE-Tech3-E4-Standard-Hose-brakes-Front-and-Rear-2014 😉

nickclift
    Free Member

What five spot said. Not cheap, but worth it. Tech 3 E4s, they’re the boys!

Hanky

I’ve also got a set of Tech 3 E4’s with braided hoses, performed brilliantly in Nepal – best disc brakes I’ve had.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope Brakes – which ones?’ is closed to new replies.