Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hope brakes permanently on, can’t turn the wheel, pistons stuck out. What’s up?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I had my M4’s serviced recently. Definitely working better but 3rd ride in and the front brake has stuck on, I tried pushing the pistons back in with a flat screwdriver but no joy. It was when I was hacking round Surrey Hills so no massive descents to boil the brakes and I didn’t think I was braking any more than usual.
    Drove home and tried brakes again when I got the bike out of the car and still not good. The forks are Pikes with the 20mm bolt thru and the wheel can spin a bit (but not freely) without the bolt-through on but then won’t move at all when I tighten the axle.

Any ideas best way to resolve this? Want to ride again next weekend and away most of next week so only really got a couple of hours Friday pm to fettle/bleed.

Ta

scaredypants

The forks are Pikes with the 20mm bolt thru and the wheel can spin a bit (but not freely) without the bolt-through on but then won’t move at all when I tighten the axle.

?? brake misaligned on the mounts – can you get the caliper over the disc when it’s not mounted on the fork at all or is the space just too narrow?

brooess
    Free Member

Disc fits in ok, with wheel on the bike. But gap too narrow to allow the wheel to spin…
    Not sure what I’d find out taking the caliper off the bike. Can you explain further or am i being dim ?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Too much fluid in them i think.

scaredypants

Well, if the brake is misaligned it could be that the rotor isn’t sitting straight in the gap between pads. When you tighten the maxle this could exaggerate the problem – otherwise I can’t see why it should make any difference when doing it up (my brakes do the opposite – bind before the thing’s tightened up but then it pulls everything nto line & they’re OK)

But yeah, too much fluid’s pretty likely. Also, have you put new pads in since getting them done ?

brooess
    Free Member

It looks like the pads on one side are more proud than the other – I guess tightening the maxle may be pulling the disc onto the pads. Before the pads were stuck out then I guess this wouldn’t have been a problem…

I’ve emailed Hope – be surprised if they’ve put too much fluid in but it does sound like that could be the prob…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hope brakes permanently on, can’t turn the wheel, pistons stuck out. What’s up?’ is closed to new replies.