Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope brakes – mix and match OK?
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m thinking of using a Race Evo E4 front with a Race Evo X2 rear. Anyone tried this? Does it work well or will I find I have a large difference in ‘feel’ and not like it?

chiefgrooveguru

You could but it means carrying two different sets of spare pads. Makes more sense to run a smaller rotor on the back with matching calipers.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Agreed but I already have a set of X2s on one bike and my plan is to get a set of E4s then split them between two bikes.

Of course I can just try it but it could involve a bit of faffing about and bleeding so was hoping someone had already tried the set up.

elliott-20
    Free Member

I’ve ran and M4 183mm front and X2 160mm rear for years. Love it, never had a problem and find the extra power on the front a little more advantageous. Once set up the modulation on each lever is pretty much identical

Never ‘carry’ spare pads with me. That’s worrying too much.

Daffy

I have this exact setup on all my bikes.

183/183 feels like a set of E4s with 183/160 front and rear.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks both, just what I wanted to hear

SirHC

I’d keep the same brakes front and rear, purely from not having to carry two sets of spare pads and also from a lever feel. My X2’s and E4’s feel subtlety different at the lever and the X2’s feel initially sharper than the E4’s. (Could be just me though)

grey

I run an E4 front 180mmm and X2 rear 160.
    i like having less power on the rear, iv’e had a couple of bikes set up like this now and it works really well for me.

brassneck

I did for years with Tech X2 and its forerunner. Only problem was different pads, but as I never carried spares it wasn’t a that much of a problem.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I am going to give it a go, at worst I have to rearrange them back into pairs at best I have better braking on both bikes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope brakes – mix and match OK?’ is closed to new replies.