Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hope brakes – e4 vs v4 vs.. Slx
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Thinking of an upgrade.

How do the aforementioned brakes compare with each other, and the e4s to the slx I am currently running.

I have the v4s on my down hill bike and the feel is lovely.. But I don’t think I felt much more power over my slx.. Probably cause I don’t go fast enough!

Is there and real reason to not go for the v4s over the e4?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

E4’s feel as powerful as Shimano single pot brakes to me – but with better feel/modulation and reliability.

V4’s are much closer to Saints in power, but again – the power is more progressive, the initial bite feels a bit softer.

I’d always go with the V4 minus the braided hoses – as once you remove the braided hose the weight penalty is only about 30g per end.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Cheers Tom.. I think the v4s only come with the braided hose. I don’t particularly want them as they are heavy as you say, but can’t really be assed having to replace with a normal hose.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Braided hoses are an option on any hope brakes

highlandman
    Free Member

Can echo the comment on braided hoses; in my experience, the braided hose takes away a scrap of the ‘feel’ that is a great reason for going with Hope 4 pots.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You can order them without the braided Hose, if you go through your LBS or certain online shops.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Right you are Simon..

I was just looking on crc so I could use my back discount.. They only have braided versions.

Anyone know what the weight difference is with the braided hose?

matt_outandabout

The answer is Magura.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The weight difference without braided Hose between the V4 and E4 is about 30-40 grams.

Just type V4 standard hose into google….to buy it with the standard hose.

Alltricks have the weights listed if…

336g for the V4 with the standard hose
    294 for the E4 with the standard hose

Braided hose adds around another 40g if I remember correctly.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Cheers Tom.. Crc don’t have any in stock at the moment but food for thought all the same.

Reviews tell me that the e4 will be fine for a mincer like me.. So leaning towards them

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ive seen Hopes going for cheaper than CRC…. if that helps.

zerolight
    Free Member

I’ve been running E4 brakes for almost a year now. Love them. More power, more control, more comfort, than my XTs. Moved them to the new bike the day it arrived. Awesome. Got them from rush cycles. More power than I need, feel great.

chestrockwell

Just picked up a pair of E4’s in blue from Tredz for £250 using the £10 off discount code. 😉

tpbiker
    Free Member

How you managed that.. I can only see them at 140 per end.. And whats the discount code?

antares
    Free Member

I’m guessing those £10 off codes are reusable so best to buy the front and rear in separate transactions using the code each time

chestrockwell

Didn’t think of that, just applied it to the whole basket. 😐

chiefgrooveguru

Had the Tech 3 E4 on my Spitfire for over 3.5 years now. They’re fantastic – loads of power but more importantly loads of control. The Tech 3 lever is great if you’re particular about how your brakes are set up.

I’ve had the Race Evo M4 for even longer, 5+ years. The lever adjustment isn’t as good but otherwise they’re near identical in feel and power (and take the same pads for convenience).

tpbiker
    Free Member

I was considering red ones but may now go for blue! Tredz have the e4 for 250 available in a couple of weeks, but I’ve found them available with braided hoses for 20 quid extra

Is the slight weight and cost penalty worth it.. They do look nicer no doubt about it..

tpbiker
    Free Member

Also.. Slightly daft question I know but thought I’d check..

Hope Rotors are 183..mine are 180. I’m assuming if I wanted to use the hope Rotors I need a new mount, but if I stick with my normal Rotors I don’t.

I assumed this was the case but a few folks appear to have had conflicting responses on other threads.

Obviously as long as the rotor isn’t too big it’ll work.. But will a small portion of the pad not be in contact with the rotor if I do not change?

sharpy52
    Free Member

Hope do discs in 180 and 183.

chestrockwell

Yeah, was on hope website today and they said they now make 180’s. Email from tredz saying order accepted but coming in a few weeks from remote supplier. We’ll see.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hope brakes – e4 vs v4 vs.. Slx’ is closed to new replies.