Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope Bottom Bracket on a Sram Rival crankset
  • godders
    Free Member

Did I buy the wrong one?? I think I did. So I ordered a mtb one thinking it would fit, I saw a thing about converters, but cant see how it would attach at the drive side, I think the bearings are too wide. Do they do a bottom bracket with small/tighter bearings as in the hole in the middle?? Anyone fitted to a sram rival/gxp type thingy?? Advice pretty please 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You need a road one, or run it without the centre tube.

You need the GXP converter shims, they go on the Non Drive Side bearing. There’s a video on youtube, I CBA finding it for you though

simondbarnes

What he said

godders
    Free Member

So I looked at the video and can see how the non drive side would work, but what i cant get my head around is the drive side. At the moment the bearing on drive side is too big a diameter to be tight on the crank axle so would flop up and down as I pedal surely?? I don’t understand that bit??

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The gxp crank has a 22mm non drive and a 24mm drive side. The Hope brackets have 24mm bearings so a tight fit on drive side and the reducers gonin on non drive.

The mtb bracket has longer threads on the cups and different spacers to the road one.

godders
    Free Member

The thing is, im sure when I put the crank through the bottom bracket (not fitted in frame yet) just to test as I wondered if the drive side was a different bearing diameter (I didnt think about the axle being larger at that end) that the driveside was still loose!! SO is the road bottom bracket the one I need or am I just being stupid??

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the road and mtb Hope BBs have the same bearings – as blazin said, it’s 24mm internal diameter. Your Rival axle should also be 24mm diameter (driveside).

Get a ruler out…. if it’s loose then either you have a 30mm BB, which Hope do make for the latest 30mm axle cranks, or your Rival axle has been eaten by tenacious ants at some point in the near past.

godders
    Free Member

Ha, there was an infestation of flying ants in the summer, do you think that could be the issue then?? I’ll get the ruler out again and see what the axle sizes up as, cheers guys.

godders
    Free Member

Arggghhhhh, help needed. So I’ve put the bottom bracket in the 68mm she’ll, 2 spaces on drive side, 1 on non drive side. I’ve got the truvativ conversion in non drive side bearings, all good, BUT wh n I tighten the cups up and then put axle through, there’s not much axle sticking out, I think it’s enough. So I tighten the crank arm on and within a few turns of hex key the crank seems to squash the bearings so very difficult to turn cranks. It’s no way that the arm is tight though as it’s got a wobble, I just don’t understand what the hell is wrong. Have I put spaces in wrong side, will that make a difference?? I need the spaces as the tub in middle won’t fit in without them. I even removed the tube and still seem to have the sameness issue? It’s pissing me off to put it mildly!! HELP!!!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Is it a road BB you have or an MTB? the spacer tube in the middle is shorter on the road one. you can run with no spacers behind the cups if it needs, as long as the centre tube is the right length.

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/RoadBBinstructions.pdf

If you’re trying to fit an MTB version to a road frame the centre tube will be too long and the spacers too wide. you might find the threaded cups also too long if you pull off the spacers as the cups are longer than the road ones to allow the use of the spacers.

simondbarnes

2 spaces on drive side, 1 on non drive side

The only spacers you should have are 2 x 1mm spacers.

godders
    Free Member

Right, it’s the mtb bottom bracket but I’m fitting it to a cyclocross bike. Balls, I even rang crc when I bought it before I fitted it to check and they said it would be fine. Now it’s all scratched from installation so I won’t be able to send it back. The spacers I’ve used are the ones provided, 3 of them. I put two on drive side, 1 on non drive. I think they are 2.5mm wide each.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its a road chainset, remove all of the spacers!

The BB centre tube will also be too long I’d image, so remove that aswell.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d probably give Hope a ring on Monday, explain the situation and they’ll probably drop you a new centre tube and the thin road spacers in the post.

If not, dump the centre tube as it’ll run without and loose the MTB spacers. the Sram wavey washer will take up the slack.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope Bottom Bracket on a Sram Rival crankset’ is closed to new replies.