Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • hope bottom bracket compatability
  • trusty

Just put a replacement bearing into my hope bb as the original had died. On reassembling there was play in the unit allowing the axle to move up and down, tracked it down and the bearing doesn’t seem to fit snugly around the axle allowing movement. Anyone else had this? I’m gonna send it back to crc and see what they say but it doesn’t instil confidence in their tollerances. It’s an old slx crank set so shouldn’t need an adaptor

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I’d imagine the crank is more likely to be out of tolerance than the bearing? There shouldn’t be any play on that fit whatsoever.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Wrong bearing. Sounds like you’ve put a 6805 / 61805 bearing in there. Same od, but hope bearings are bespoke, so the id on them is less and it sits directly on the axle.
    So you need to use hope bearings in them.

trusty

It is a hope bearing (even says hope on it). It’s loose on an old set of race face cranks I’ve got in the shed as well. Very strange

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ok, I’m confused now.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Get the ID of the replacement bearing measured and compare to the one you removed, see if theres any difference?

wwaswas

do they do different bearings for GXP cranks?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

GXP cranks take the same bearings, you just use little shim type adapters in the BB cup.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

even says hope on it

Its not a hub bearing is it?
    They do some with 25mm id, rather than 24mm.

Northwind

Hmm. I don’t think this is it, but, if the old BB bearing seized the metal-on-metal design of Hope means it can gouge the crank axle… It’s not that is it?

Last time I ordered bearings from Hope one was faulty, almost seized from new, which was surprising. They replaced it super-fast though.

trusty

I thought this thread had died! I definitely ordered the right bearing from crc so it shouldn’t be a wheel bearing, plus it fits the bb cup as it should. It just seems that the id is about .5 mm bigger than the axle. The old one’s gone in the bin but I’ve ordered another so I can compare.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Thats a lot!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘hope bottom bracket compatability’ is closed to new replies.