Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope Bottom Bracket Bearing
  • johnnylad123
    Free Member

Hi, can anyone tell me the best place to buy the bearings from, £15.75 per side from CRC seems too dear to me or does anyone have an alternative from a bearing supplier that they’ve tried?? Cheers.

Northwind

It’s a nonstandard bearing unfortunately, not available off the shelf, Hope want you bound to their expensive replacements. FSA use the same size in some of their BBS, and I think Enduro do a kit (but Enduro bb bearings are shite ime, sub-deore).

Or- I’ve never done this, but if you can find a tophat the right size, you can use a 6805 2RS, the BB width’ll be slightly higher though.

johnnylad123
    Free Member

Cheers for that Northwind, as much as I like to keep it English I’m afraid Shimano is calling again. I work in engineering and non-standard stuff is a pain 🙁

robj20
    Free Member

Its not really Hopes fault, blame the people that did the 24mm axle.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve found the hope bearing to last significantly longer. Long enough that they justify the cost. I’m not a fan of non standard kit (see some of my rants on here) but the hope bb seems worth it. Not sure if anyone uses standard bearings in a ht2 style bb. Hope, the bore is non standard and shimano use a narrower than standard width. That’s why, if you use a standard bearing with shimano top hats you need to remove the lip that snaps into the back of the shimano bearing.

transporter13
    Free Member

Same as the bearings in my token bb
    24377 2rs

windydave13
    Free Member

I just pressed hope bearings into Shimano cups. Still going strong 3 years later.
    They Just need a bit of a clean and regrease every now and again when they start to get noisy.

Well worth the money in my opinion

robbie
    Free Member

If it was me I’d go for the hope bearing, Don’t mess about with the top hats.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Bought some ‘aftermarket’ ones off fleabay. Which outlived the grumbly Hope(less) bearings on my road bike, which lasted 500 miles. No jetwash, user error, yadda yadda. And are a lot nicer quality and seem to have overtaken the miles on the Hope(less) ones with ease. He advertised them as better quality ones and I am believing that. I have Hope BB’s on 2 other bikes and not that impressed with the nasty black cover, which gets grinding between that and the bearing. King BB is now 6 years old and apart from once a year greasing, without an injection tool is totally fine.
    Think its these ones ……… ebay no 381106059980

Northwind

Yeah, but try buying those- you can find enduro, and random far eastern no-names, no quality brands. And the Token ones only seem to be available in very expensive ceramic- their normal BBs use a 6805 2RS I think.

A good alternative (IMO) is the Gusset EXT24- outlasts Shimano as standard but is also more servicable so you can keep it going much longer if you can be bothered, and the bearings are totally standard so you can get quality replacements for sensible prices. Only bummer is you can’t buy replacement tophats for these separately, so you need to be careful not to damage them.

robj20 – Member

Its not really Hopes fault, blame the people that did the 24mm axle.

Nah, other companies manage just fine. And if you put an equiva

Rorschach
    Free Member

24377 2rs

That just means 24mm by 37mm by 7mm with a rubber shield and does’nt actually imply that it’s a standardized bearing size.
    New token bb’s got rid of the top hat as they kept breaking (brittle plastic) and use 24mm id bearings now.

transporter13
    Free Member

Thats strange as my token bb doesnt have any tophats and the bearings have 24377 2rs written on them….have lasted over 2 years so far without needing to be changed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

transporter13
    Free Member

Pretty sure i read your post as saying a 25mm id bearings…hence my post 😯

johnnylad123
    Free Member

Cheers for all the advice from everyone 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope Bottom Bracket Bearing’ is closed to new replies.