Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • hope bb stainless or ceramic? aggresive trail riding and some freeride
  • cazum
    Free Member

hey guys after my SLX BB decided it wishes to die i am on the look out for a new BB i have set my mind on a hope bb with the reviews that i seen now i need to know stainless or ceramic? is ceramic that much better? also is it suited for MTB ( i remember years ago people said never have ceramic on a MTB….)

dantsw13

As far as I know they are the same, bar one has SS ball bearings And one has ceramic ones, which Are pretty well indestructible and rust free.

In terms of intended use, there is no difference. It is purely the lifetime of the bearings.

creamegg
    Free Member

Had ceramics in my only bike for 3 years and they still feel like new. If you’re already set on hope you may as well go ceramic? They’re not that much more expensive

cazum
    Free Member

yeah i just wanted to make sure that ceramic was the way to go for my style of riding. just didn’t want to spend that amount of cash on a bb then destroy or ruin the ceramic bearings!

walla24
    Free Member

I had this when I asked the difference too, I was told ceramic were not going to last in wet conditions….
    However I have had the same ceramic for 3 years and its still smoother than the stainless ever were, recommended if you can afford it.

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont waste your money – get a Shimano one for £13 from Rose bikes. Still stainless steel. Fit it properly and for that price even if it only lasted a year your saving money.

I use them, last years and to be honest, none of us can squash ball bearing, no matter what they are made of.

Marketing makes stuff sound sexy, but its just an engineering solution you need. Sometimes thats a simple solution.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Shimano life times seem to pend on the moons phases.

Sometimes they last a couple years others have not lasted more than a couple weeks.

Same bike same fitter same cranks

Fitted a hope ceramic in my last 2 builds – looked at neither since – 1 is 5 years old and the other 3

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘hope bb stainless or ceramic? aggresive trail riding and some freeride’ is closed to new replies.