Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope BB GXP conversion with XX1 crank
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

hello all…

has anyone managed to get an XX1 crank working successfully with a hope GXP conversion? i’m sure someone must have.

i’ve had the following issues:
    if i put the 2.5mm spacer in the drive side of the BB (like you would in a shimano install) then the crank will not turn
    if i run it with the spacer removed the BB works it’s way lose

what have other people done?!

i’m tired of getting 3 months use from the SRAM offering
    i’ve been close to ditching the SRAM crank altogether and starting again with 100% Hope parts, but that seems a bit extreme (and also expensive)

benpinnick

Ive done loads and never had an issue other than the chainline being a bit off after the conversion (which can cause issues with a chain device). I take it this crank worked fine before with a GXP (threaded) BB?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You might need to face your BB, or find a thinner spacer.

There needs to be free space between the DS crank arm and the BB, otherwise it’ll bind as you’ve found out.

Odd your BB unscrews itself though……you sure you’ve done it up tight enough?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i’ve had the same issue (not spinning with the spacer installed) with 3 different frames… and yes the crank is fine in a SRAM BB

and definitely tightened up enough without the spacer…

benpinnick, did you have the spacer installed?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have you installed the Hope top hat spacers properly?

nickdavies

Mine is fine, just check your drive side inner face – last time I switched from the sram B.B. to a hope one one of the sram seals stuck on there and gave me the issues you’re having. Silly but easily missed.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I believe the Hope cup set on the drive side touches the bolts on the back of the direct mount chainring.
    I was running it on a 73mm B.B. unit and ended up using a 5mm spacer(1’’ ahead) between crank arm and B.B.
    I found running with it as stock the chainring would also contact the chainstay so adding the spacer didn’t cause any problem.
    I could understand it cause chainline problems on some bikes though!
    Thanks,
    Max

robgclarkson
    Free Member

thanks Max… explains a bit!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope BB GXP conversion with XX1 crank’ is closed to new replies.