Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hope BB creak
  • JimSu
    Free Member

do you ever get creaking from the bearings moving in the cups? I have removed cleaned and greased the cranks (Raceface) and the Hope beraing cups with bearings in situ(no play) but continue to get a creak with pressure on either crank static or pedaling ie.nothingto do with seat post cant see any cracks, so wonder if noise is coming from bearing in cup. There is some torsion on swingarm but no sign of play or movement there.

Any thoughts?

doris
    Free Member

Have you tried this? remove the rubbery plastic cover that sits between the bearing and the crank on the bb cups. Then gently pop off the seal of the bearing with a small screw driver or knife and pack with fresh grease re fit the seal and the plastic cover.

JimSu
    Free Member

yes thanks,I have done that and the bearings seem to be running smoothly.
    With the cranks horizonal it only takes standing on one side without any rotation for a load creak to echo through the frame

rolymo
    Free Member

i had a creak on a ceramic hope – solved by removing each side of the bracket from the frame and adding more grease/anti seize to the threads.

not heard a pip out of it since

willyboy
    Free Member

I’d have thought it would either be the cups moving slighty in the frame (remove, clean, grease and refit like rolymo said) or it will be the crank spline interface that need tightening/ cleaning.

JimSu
    Free Member

I have done both of those things(infact crank off twice now) The only thing I have not tried is removing the bearings from the cups but am concerned that might damage the bearing if tight as no play but that will be the next step if you guys think it may help.

willyboy
    Free Member

i had a similar thing to this with a seatpost constantly creaking – my friend told me to check the frame welds, lo and behold the top tube/ seat tube joint had cracked. i hope it isn’t this in your case.

JimSu
    Free Member

I have looked for cracks and the noise is reproduced by just standing on a pedal

woody2000

Could it be the pedal then? 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the cups can creak inside the frame, especially with the spacers Hope use. Plenty of copper grease and well torqued does the trick.

hazeii
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s the BB? I had one bad creak that seemed to come from the BB, finally traced it to the replaceable rear mech hanger, cleaning and greasing the back of that fixed it.

peakmonster
    Free Member

re grease threads re fit, run for a while remove crank arms and re tighten.
    job done!

JimSu
    Free Member

Thanks not check hanger yet

turnip
    Free Member

grease the crack axle

Goz
    Free Member

Bin the Hope spacers and fit Shimano ones instead…Hope ones are to soft and destort under load.

BadlyWiredDog

Check the rear skewer as well while you’re at it. I’ve seen ‘crank creaks’ several times that were actually the rear QR.

jim
    Free Member

It’s also worth checking for a loose chainring bolt.

JimSu
    Free Member

well it wasnt the BB or the hanger it was the………….

skewer/dropouts so thanks for all your help

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hope BB creak’ is closed to new replies.