Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • hope BB bearings, why so expensive?
  • rOcKeTdOg

So my hope BB needs new bearings £15 a side

Deore BB £9.99

So I buy deore, weight both (yes v sad) & deore is 8g lighter, so I can buy 3 deore for the price of one set of hope bearings.that’s almost disposable, looks less pimp but hey. Hope hasn’t lasted any longer than the Shimano on my other bike, why buy hope?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Hope ones are custom made and stainless steel (including the balls I think), so they won’t go rusty as soon as the grease washes out of them. They also seem much better sealed in the first place.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Can’t Kasae sort you out??

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hope bearings are a bespoke size made esp for Hope. The balls are marginally larger due to the inner race being slightly narrower (axle sits directly on the bearings rather than on the top hat bush).
    You could always buy std 61805 2RS bearings, get some top hat bushes and fit them in the Hope BB cups.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Out of interest RD, whats wrong with the current bearings in the Hope BB?

Northwind

Why are they so expensive? Because you don’t have any other straightforward choice than to buy their expensive bearings. Why are they not a standard size? Also for that reason.

imp999
    Free Member

Deore & Hope lasted same time – how long?
    If low mileage/short time you might be fitting them badly & this is what killed them, not their inability to keep kack at bay.

My shimanos all fail on the non drive side where they are more exposed so I fit a lizard skin headset bearing cover thing on them. Can’t say if it does much.
    Hope ones let you pop the bearings out to clean & re-fill with grease which I like.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Change hope BB bearings? I’m measuring life in years here.

tandemwarriors

Change hope BB bearings? I’m measuring life in years here.

Yep, just changed mine after 6+ years of maintenance-less abuse.

ndthornton
    Free Member

why buy hope

Simple – Because they never wear out (or not for me anyhow)
    I’m not digging Shimano – I really like there stuff – but there BB’s are pants. Even the XT one I had lasted less then 6 months.

I have 2 hope BBs which have been on bikes for years and still tight and smooth

rOcKeTdOg

Deore & Hope lasted same time – how long?

around 3000 miles

reggiegasket
    Free Member

my Hopes don’t last that long. If Hope priced their bearings at <£15 per pair I think they’d become the default BB option for mtbers. But at £30/pr they are too expensive and the disposable Shimanos start to look better value.

ahwiles
    Free Member

what about the gusset ext24?

£25, very well sealed*, and they use standard bearings.

as mentioned on the other thread, mine’s done over 7000km, i had a peek inside last night, it looks like new.

(*much better than my Hope BB – which isn’t well sealed at all actually)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘hope BB bearings, why so expensive?’ is closed to new replies.