Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope 9mm conversion
  • RicB

Following on from the recent thread about Hope’s new 9mm bolt-through axle conversion kit for their pro2 front hubs, does anyone fancy machining some axles to fit?

Unless I’m missing something they’d simply be a 9mm dia steel rod of the correct length with holes either end tapped for two 6mm bolts…

DaveE

Does that mean you have conversion for pro 2 hubs.
    Thought about converting QR’s
    I’ll have a look in daylight and post Tues eve

firestarter
    Free Member

ive had a hunt around and not found much other than the rws system. i cant seem to find a 9mm dia rod as yet but im trying to source an old specialized stout bolt thru but they are discontinued so it may be tricky. other option is to buy an on-one 456 hub and chuck the hub after removing the bolt thru 😉

RicB

Yes I’ve seen the on-one hub but the axle uses a qr lever and I think half the advantage of the DT Swiss axle is that it can be done up tighter.

I suggested to Hope that a basic bolt-up would be well received so maybe they’ll run off a small batch…

firestarter
    Free Member

so did i lol but i didnt hold out much hope

firestarter
    Free Member

i now have a spesh 9mm bolt thru qr for sale , brand new unused £20

Markie
    Free Member

Wouldn't it be nicer to have a bigger axle (say 15mm, or whatever) tapped to take a 9mm bolt? Then the bolts that hold the axle are the bit that firts in the QR slot… or am I missing something?

AdamM
    Free Member

Except that there are a few other hubs that can also use a 9mm through axle but not a 15mm axle… most DT Swiss hubs, for example. The idea is to come up with a cheaper alternative to the £45 DT RWS axle while also addressing the potential shortcomings of the DT design with its plastic handle.

I'd love something as simple as a 9mm dia steel rod of the correct length with holes either end tapped for two 6mm bolts. The tricky bit might be determining exactly what the correct length is due to significant variance in the dropout thickness of different forks? 110mm would probably be enough, I guess?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope 9mm conversion’ is closed to new replies.