Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope 2 LED as a Helmet Light
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Im thinking about sticking my Hope on my head has anybody else done this if so how was it. Stability weight etc?

Thanks.

Pieface

Its pretty damn good IMO if you're talking about the new version. Its fine on its own as the only light. Its similar in output to a L&M ARC but lacks the massive flood and ultra-bright centre spot.

Best to use the extension lead and put the battery in a cycle jersey or shorts pocket.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ive got the original version and am upgrading to a P7 so was thinking about using the Hope up top as I already have the mount. But the mount feels a little wobbly when fitted to my helmet and no light attached.

Do you say that about the battery because of the weight?

firestarter
    Free Member

i tried one in conjunction with my vision four but found it too floody as i lid light and went for a joystick maxx2 instead less power but seems to work better as its a more spotty beam pattern

Pieface

You'll get away with the battery on the helmet but the less weight on the head the better.

Robespierre
    Free Member

I've got a 2007 Hope 2 Led that is going on the helmet now I've got a DX for the bars. The helmet mount isn't the best but as the battery goes in the camelback its plenty light.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Rob do you find that the light wobbles around quite a bit on the helmet or is it ok? Thinking about it I guess you cant really notice the wobbling when riding because its not like the beam will bounce out of vision.

footstomper
    Free Member

I was out last night with a hope 4 on my helmet, seems a little strange at first then you tend to forget about it being there until you go under a low branch and it snaps your head back 😕
    A few of my mates have twin hopes on their helmets with out any problems.
    I find attached to the helmet it gives me more control over where I want the light to be.

russjp
    Free Member

My Hope 2 give out some really mad electrostatic (or something like that) interference when switched on full beam. It total kills my wireless computer and if im fiddling with it in my house or just outside the kitchen it kills my digital radio!

I wont run it on my helmet for that reason!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mine kills my wireless computer on my road bike too that is one of the reasons why Im thinking about putting it on my bonce.

Back in the day I had a wireless on my mtb and went into halfords propped the bike against the workshop desk looked down and the computer was reading something like 80mph! Turns out the PC was affecting it.

Are you going to stop using PCs now?

russjp
    Free Member

No, but im not going to stick it to my head with only a bit of polystyrene to sheild me!

I_Ache
    Free Member

LOL

Robespierre
    Free Member

The helmet mount is actually quite secure..it just doesn't look right. Don't know about the weight of a Hope 4 on a helmet though, that really is a chunk of metal. Be interesting to see how the LED 2 goes with the DX p7 on the bars. If I'm honest I don't think I'll really appreciate the dual system up in the Peaks as its not about tight wooded singletrack. I also ride down south where the trails wind through the pine plantations and, from experience, I reckon it will be a good combintation there.

I_Ache
    Free Member

One of the reasons I stopped using my fenix on my helmet is because I really didnt need it where I was riding at the time but having done my first night ride in Cannock Chase last week I really do need a helmet light thought the tight switchbacks. There were times where I couldnt see at all and was just hoping not to hit anything so I could keep up.

I will probably give it a try tomorrow morning on the commute just to see how it feels. If nothing else it should warm my head up at 4:30 tomorrow morning.

Robespierre
    Free Member

Yeah, there's that nanosecond when you're blind in the twisties if you've just got a bar light. It just causes hesitation and mucks up the flow. How much difference it actually makes in my case is open to question…I was so knackered and slow at Mayhem that I would have been ok with a Davey lamp on the front of my lid

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope 2 LED as a Helmet Light’ is closed to new replies.