Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Hope 10-44t Cassette
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Looks like it might be really happening this time.
    Hope XC Cassette 10-44t
    Quoted as March availability!

honourablegeorge

Four aluminium sprockets? I’m out

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Larger four sprockets machined from single aluminium billet

mmmm, I can’t see me being an “early adopter”. Will be watching for some reviews in 6-9 months time.
    [edit] 20 seconds late [/edit]

woodster

XC? Yuck.

Let me know when they’re doing an Enduro version.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Emma Chisset?

otsdr
    Free Member

They missed two opportunities on this one:
    – either license the XD driver
    – integrate the freehub in the alu sprockets, it’s not like it will ever fit any other brand’s hub

roverpig

10-44? That’ll do nicely.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Nice machining. Recently went 1×11 XT on my Spitfire build, and opted for DT Swiss hubs over Hope so that’s me out. Shame, as I wouldn’t mind being a guinea pig for everyone else.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Quoted as March availability!

Was there any mention of which year?

chrishc777
    Free Member

That’s what, half a pound lighter than XT in 10-40 with more range? Begs the question of how ridiculously expensive is it going to be?

qwerty
    Free Member

273g is light isn’t it?

Gonna costa lotta?

Clobber
    Free Member

Fits onto a unique freehub. Available for both our Pro 4 and Pro 2 EVO hubs

😯

ndthornton
    Free Member

How have Shimano managed to make their latest cassettes so heavy. It really is quite an achievement. New XT is a good chunk heavier than Sram’s 4th tier offering?

honourablegeorge

That it needs a separate new freehub kind of loses the USP versus SRAM cassettes

scotroutes

Surely its Unique Selling Point is that it’s a 10-44T cassette?

roverpig

I wonder whether they’ll sell the two halves separately.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

license the XD driver

Is it an open (or licenceable?) standard? I’d presumeSRAM are happy for manufacturers to make wheels for their cassettes (SRAM hubs being rare) but more protective of being the only game in town for 10t cassettes.

I guess it’s a question of fitness, at 18-19 I was wearing out the <22t sprockets first and 11t looked like something from spirograph, the bigger ones looked untouched. Now as a chubby almost-30 it’s the big gears that go and the 11t looks untouched. I suspect if I went back to my teenage years I could happily have run 4x aluminium sprockets, I doubt I could have afforded it though!

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Is it an open (or licenceable?) standard? I’d presumeSRAM are happy for manufacturers to make wheels for their cassettes (SRAM hubs being rare) but more protective of being the only game in town for 10t cassettes.

E13’s cassette (9-44) uses the XD standard

roverpig

They already make an XD freehub for their hubs don’t they? Presumably there is some reason why they preferred to go with a unique freehub for this cassette though.

Speeder

honourablegeorge – Member

What would you like them made of?

honourablegeorge

Speeder – Member

Steel. Alu cogs just don’t last. They’re ok fr the lowest, sit-and-spin-gear with lots of teeth, but lower down the block, when they have to deal with a bit of power, they just fall to bits.

honourablegeorge

The more I look at this, the more I think just how far ahead of the game SRAM were.

They showed off XX1 in May 2012. Three and a half years later, E13 have only just figured out how to make a 9-42 cassette that’s 320g, even though the top four cogs are aluminium – that’s 60g heavier that SRAM’s all-steel 10-42 and it’s €319 on the site I’m looking at, versus €229 for the SRAM one.

Meanwhile Shimano are doing the XTR with just the 11-40 range, but still heavier than either of the above.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Speeder – Member
    Steel. Alu cogs just don’t last. They’re ok fr the lowest, sit-and-spin-gear with lots of teeth, but lower down the block, when they have

Are 28, 32, 38, 44 not sit and spin with lots of teeth..

Hopefully hope will sell the 4 alloy cogs as spares so you can replace them rather than the whole cassette..

gavstorie
    Free Member

The more I look at this, the more I think just how far ahead of the game SRAM were.

They showed off XX1 in May 2012. Three and a half years later, E13 have only just figured out how to make a 9-42 cassette that’s 320g, even though the top four cogs are aluminium – that’s 60g heavier that SRAM’s all-steel 10-42 and it’s €319 on the site I’m looking at, versus €229 for the SRAM one.

Meanwhile Shimano are doing the XTR with just the 11-40 range, but still heavier than either of the above.

The sram xx1 has an alloy 42t cog.. which is replaceable..

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Seems they’ve made the spacing at the high end very close to they can advertise the 20% figure. I think something more evenly spread would have been much more useful, maybe 10, 12, 14, 17, 21, 24, 27, 31, 35, 39, 44 would be more useful for a lot of enduro mincers.

I doubt I’ll be buying one anyway, given that you can get a sunrace or praxxis cassette for under £80. This Hope thing is bound to be at least double that.

honourablegeorge

Goldigger – Member

Are 28, 32, 38, 44 not sit and spin with lots of teeth..

Not really. I did plenty of out of the saddle on my alu 28t, and it disappeared in half a dozen rides

Goldigger
    Free Member

http://www.hopetech.com/eurobike/

Reading that it appears that the alloy cogs are a add on to the 7spd DH cassette.
    Also says that the 3 or 4 (10 or 11 spd)
    alloy cogs are replaceable.

dragon
    Free Member

They just copied one of these:

On a serious note though I’m struggling to work out what problem this Hope thing solves.

Interesting to note that at the cyclocross worlds yesterday some of the front runners,were still running doubles including one SRAM rider.

scotroutes

Ah – but just wait for……

EnduroCross!!!

dragon
    Free Member

Now there is a new branding opportunity for the 3 Peaks if ever there was one 😆

mikekay
    Free Member

Should of made it to fit the Sram free hub, so i’m out !

honourablegeorge

Hmm – accoding to Factory Jackson, the Hope DH cassette is £150, XC is £175.

roverpig

So does that mean the replacement Alu sprockets will only be £25 🙂

honourablegeorge

New freehub needed too.

Northwind

dragon – Member

On a serious note though I’m struggling to work out what problem this Hope thing solves.

Same problem as the Hope cranks, bars etc solve- some people just can’t get enough Hope logos on their bikes.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Well its better than Shimano since it ditches the old fashioned freehub design and has a 10T sprocket which gives a huge increase in range for only 1 less tooth. It also has a an extra 2 teeth on the top sprocket so altogether this probably has the biggest range of any cassette out there. For those still sitting on the fence it might prove to be a genuine like for like replacement for a double ring setup with no loss of range (depending on your ratios).

So compared to the cranks which offer absolutely nothing yet are still selling I think its a winner.

blader1611
    Free Member

£175! No Hope of that going on my bike.

roverpig

£225 for cassette plus freehub, but that may be easier to swallow if they decide to offer just the Alu sprockets as a spare part.

Interesting to see that they are getting into carbon “woven in the North in old cotton mills” too. Could make for some interesting new objects of desire for my dandy horse.

wrecker
    Free Member

Does anyone spend £175 on a cassette?

nickjb
    Free Member

Does anyone spend £175 on a cassette

No one I know but I presume someone must

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Hope 10-44t Cassette’ is closed to new replies.