Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hooked teeth
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Following on from the chain thread.

Is there anything wrong with filing off the hooks on worn chain rings rather than replacing them? Obviously the teeth get a bit smaller but it should be okay for at least one go.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My question would be, could you do a decent job in less time than it would take to go to work and earn the price of a chainring? In theory, it could be remachined but it would be weaker (less tooth behind it each time) and near impossible to get it accurate enough by hand.

Jamie
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with it as a stop gap measure. I did consider it myself for a nanosecond, but the faff was just not worth dropping down to a steel Deore middle ring for £8.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Probably right about the faff factor

bassspine
    Free Member

check this out. He’s had his money’s worth out of that sprocket

z1ppy

I do filling, on chainsets reaching the end of there lives, gives you a couple more weeks out of them.

“could you do a decent job in less time than it would take to go to work and earn the price of a chainring? “

But you forget it not just the chainring he’ll need to replace, it’s also need a chain and cassette…and it literally takes minutes to remove a chainring and file the hooks off.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hooked teeth’ is closed to new replies.