Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Honours
  • donsimon
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16736495
    Would you accept or reject an honour from the queen?
    Personally I wouldn’t accept.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be nominated. In the unlikely event that I were to be I’d decline as I don’t believe in the honours system and wouldn’t kneel under any circumstances to Mrs Windsor.

wrecker
    Free Member

Depends what for. If it was for something a bit shit like art; then no.
    If I’d saved a bazillion newborn babies from a swarm of marauding african killer bees then I probably would.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’d look into to whether it would help me get upgraded seats on flights if it did I’d accept, if not I’d decline and pretend that I did so because of high minded ideals.

Garry_Lager

Honours speak to a person and to their work. It’s the latter that’s important – I’m sure a lot of recipients aren’t personally that arsed about being an mbe or whatever, may even think it’s a bit lame, but the recognition that it gives their work can raise its profile (v important for charities, social campaigners, scientists etc) and just generally be a positive way of recognising what they do.

If you’re a world-acclaimed great master in what you do like Lucien Freud, or LS Lowry, then you can afford to be above such things. A lot of honours go to regular people, though, who are making a difference at a much smaller level.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The honours system isn’t about the Queen, she merely dishes out the gongs every year, the recipients of which are decided by the government.

This is why you’re more likely to be knighted for raising money for political parties or planning an election campaign than you are for devoting your life to helping charities.

There are a lot of worthy recipients of awards, but also quite a lot that I’d happily see get a kick up the arse instead.

scuzz
    Free Member

Depends – did I get to that point in my career without selling out my ideals?
    If I’m a sell out, I might as well embrace and milk the system for all I can!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Honours’ is closed to new replies.