Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hongfu Frames – user updates?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I have been reading old threads (a year old) about their 29er frames. One or two people bought them, others predicted they would die! I reckon a year is enough time for people to decide how well or badly they ride, whether they have fallen apart or not etc.

Does anyone have any feedback?

composite
    Free Member

There is a 204 page thread on mtbr about the 29er frames that has been running for about 3 years. 2013 starts about here: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/chinese-carbon-29er-640919-174.html

Loads of experiences on there the majority of them positive. Clearly there are some bad ones but no more than are on here with expensive big name brands.

I have been researching them myself for some time now and I’m very interested in a FR-202 from either x-goods or flyxii.

slowjo
    Free Member

Thanks

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Not a 29er (moountain bike) frame, but happy with my FM066 so far. I went over a fairly large pothole in the road on Saturday and with all this ‘debate’ on here about substandard Chinese carbon, for a momentary second I just expected the frame to crumble to dust, but it didn’t. 🙂

Its a bit contradictory, but aren’t On-One / Planet-X 29er carbon frames fairly cheap? In that case, I’d probably go for one of those if the prices are comparable….

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

750 miles on my road drop bars and so far, not am ambulance to be seen or undertaker…….

smell_it
    Free Member

I’ve got a 3 year old hongfu road bike, just as i was interested in trying one given all the gossip about them. Dressed it in force/ rival and a load of fake fsa carbon finishing kit. I use it as a summer(ish) training bike and road trip bike, it has clocked up just over 10k miles and is entering it’s forth years service. Been over the alps, dolomites and around Norway taking some serious stick and it’s been grand. Summer 2 saw me and the bike side swipe by a white van, the bars and a shifter bought it, but bar some scratches all is well.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i’ve got one of these…..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350674633856?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

i race on it, AM on it and generally give it a thrashing and (touching wood) all is well so far 😀

c_klein87

only 300miles on mine but its only a month old, so far so good, better build quality than my previous chinese frame, light ish, looks great, goes well

trailflow
    Free Member

and a load of fake fsa carbon finishing kit

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

trailflow – Member
    and a load of fake fsa carbon finishing kit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP0PGlgsnrI

Except that the force he exerted on the bars in that video is nothing like the sort of force you’d exert when riding the thing.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

That fake fsa vid is scary.
    I reckon I put way more force through bars than that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

have they just over clamped the bars or pre weakened/cut them as that test seems less than scientific to me

TBH I reckon I could make a set of bars that would pass that test let alone an actual manufacturer [ fake or otherwise]

smell_it
    Free Member

It took the van strike and then a rather rapid interface with the road to break the bars, and it was the road that killed them. They had probably done about 5000 miles by the time they met their end, and as with all the bits on that bike I had no issues about riding them at full tilt. If they had gone like those in the vid, they would not have survived a week with me. As with all things, you pay’s your money and you take a chance, and maybe I got lucky. But similarly, I had to have my £6k road bike frame replaced under warranty after 2 months of riding it, but I still have no issues hammering it’s replacement. Stuff breaks, cheap and fake stuff probably a bit more. But similarly, some people are hand wringers and some are a bit more dippy and take more risks, and I’m definitely the latter. I can see that buying cheap Chinese kit and fakes is not for everyone, but I just thought I would give it a go, and it’s worked out ok so far for me.

seems all carbon may be out to get you, well according to a vegan

he likes helmets to…

BenjiM

My 26er has been great. It’s taken a lot of abuse and a 3rd place result in an MBO Score at the weekend including climbing and decending the path along the edge of Whernside (Bloody rock steps make you feel like you’re going to fall apart let alone the bike!) Both the MTB and the Road Bike(about 5,ooo miles) are in great fettle. More so than the rider!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hongfu Frames – user updates?’ is closed to new replies.