Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hong Kong Riding – Who can guide me?
  • teacake
    Free Member

Hi everyone. We're off to Hong Kong in 4 weeks time and I'm wondering if anyone here lives [lived] there, knows where to ride or what bike shop to use.

Also plan to buy a new lens – which shop should I use?

We're heading into mainland China after HK and are riding from Kuniming via; Lijiang, Litang and into Chengdu. Anyone ridden this route, ideas of amount of time it'll take? Advice welcome.

Finally – what tyres for epic China riding holiday?
    Thanks!!

HTTP404
    Free Member

http://www.hkmba.org

afaik MTBing in HKg is quite restrictive.

Loads of places to rent bikes – but quality is dubious.

The Flying Ball bicycle shop is the most famous but the last time I was there (2yrs ago) I did notice some bling shops down in sheung-shui (New Territories) as well. Things change fast in HKg and these shops may no longer be there.

The Flying Ball is the definitive shop to visit tho. and undoubtedly still operating.

The current exchange rate looks weak at HK$11.8 to the £. When I went I got HK$16!

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Theres a lot of cycle paths, basically bike roads where you can cycle between towns. Thats the limitation of my knowledge. From the times i've stayed there and looked around i've seen parts of mountains/hills that would be good to cycle. You could try cycling the path that goes from the city to the giant Buddha. I saw the path last time while going above on the gondalas.
    There is a surprising amount of bike shops… with shocking bikes. I saw a lot of "folding bikes" with hinges in the middle of the frame. There are quite a few tandems to rent aswell.

sobriety
    Free Member

When I was in HK I visited Tap Mun island, Using the Tsui Wah Ferry Service, Tap Mun would be rubbish for riding, but the ferry visits other islands and people were loading/unloading pretty nice bikes at other stops. So I guess there's some riding to be had in that area…

If you're on Facebook, add Dialled Bikes as a friend (include a message referencing this thread) and I'll put you in touch with someone who rides out in HK.

Sorry if that sounds a bit convuluted, but I don't wanna violate anyone's privacy.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

+1 Flying Ball Bicycle shop. Full of bling!

TomB

Ahhh, flying ball. My first MTB came from there when I was 16, living in HK. That'll be 1989, and it was a KHS Montana Comp which is still in use somewhere. When I was there, all our riding was 'cheeky' in country parks. Got evicted a few times. Lots around the Maclehose Trail in the New Territories IIRC.

Flying Ball was a mecca of bling even then- Klein, Merlin Ti, Hyperlight bars, Manitou forks when front sus was just beginning. A great place to hang about as a spotty oik.

franksinatra

http://www.flyingball.com/

Shop does look very bling, check out the brilkian tandem conversion kit at the bottom of the page!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hong Kong Riding – Who can guide me?’ is closed to new replies.