Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hong Kong: any experiences?
  • BoardinBob

I was approached at work today to discuss a potential position based in Hong Kong. We're expanding out there and they're looking for someone to head up our division in the region. The position would be based in Hong Kong with responsibilty for our operations in Hong Kong, China, Singapore and Thailand and they would like me to consider putting myself forward for the role.

So, does anyone have any experiences of living and working out there or in the region? What's good and what's bad? What's the biking like?!?

A general question for anyone that's been on an expat assignment, what is the expected norm in terms of compensation i.e. expat salary vs normal home country salary, what living expenses were paid for by the company, what other benefits should be included in an expat assignment.

I pointed out that I was reasonably newly married with a dog so it would be challenging to relocate. I also raised the fact that my wife has a strong career here that she would be reluctant to leave. My boss replied that the salary on offer would be such that she wouldn't need to work but to be honest that's not the main motivation and I'd hate to drag my wife half way round the world for her to sit at home all day in a strange country with no friends while I work from 7am to 7pm. So please share any similar experiences.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Live in a shoebox
    Riding not ideal
    Working hours more like 0700-2200 (depending on if you're part of a US company or not), but HK hours are looooong

But, an amaxing place. Truly amazing. A wondrous mix (still) of old colonial and new China.

If you go, let me know, I know a lot of good people out there.

BoardinBob

Yes, US company and well versed in the nightmares of time differences! Currently leading our China launch which involves early AM starts with China and late night conference calls with the US.

al-london
    Free Member

I love the place I am normally there for a solid month once a year. I worked alot in mainland China in shenzhen too.

Make sure you go to wanchai district 🙂

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Your wife wouldn't be sitting at home all day, that's for sure – there's loads of stuff to see and do – whether she's into shopping, more shopping, eating or maybe she's outdoors-ey and prefers hiking, sailing?

It's a lonely place if you don't know anyone though – my mum worked as a school nurse to stave off boredom – also meant that she met a lot of expat mums and dads. Appreciate your wife might not want to do this, but I'm sure there are plenty of other expat social networks (perhaps she likes horse racing? 🙂 )

I've always found living space to not be that much of a big deal really. However, on a return visit recently, I appreciated just how noisy the place is. 8 floors up at 3am and I could still hear a steady stream of traffic below. Obviously there are quiet areas too, just need to work a bit harder to find them.

unless your dog is v. small or you plan on living on one of the outer islands, I suggest you might consider leaving it in the UK 🙁

hughjengin
    Free Member

Joe Banana's in Wanchai, Nuff said 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

I lived out there for two years and found it to be a fantastic place to live and work. Didn't do any mountain biking in those days, but a fair but of hillwalking.

We lived in Discovery Bay on Lantau Island – it's a great commute by boat into the centre of Hong Kong but a much quieter, more relaxed place to live.

I also used to drink in Joe Banana's, amongst others!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hong Kong: any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.