Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • honeymoon locations ?
  • birdo
    Free Member

i m getting married this year and even though i ve not been trusted with many duties so far i have been given the job of sorting the honeymoon. any one out there got any good reports or recomendations? we dont want to go on a long haul flight but a 2/3 hour flight would be fine. if you can giveme any tips that would be great. it`s always nicer to hear from someone whose not trying to sell you something.

geoffj

Depends on lots of things, but time of year is probably the biggest factor.

2-3 hrs will get you to a lot of places, but Italy would be my choice – summer on Sardinia, out of season Rome / Tuscany / Lakes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What time of year?

A trip to a quiet Greek island might be superb. Take a little cottage somewhere, hire a boat. Pootle around the bays having picnics on the beach, (With no one else around, nudge nudge, wink wink), home to a quiet little village with a meal on the waterfront…

If not, if it's in high summer, why not look at the National Trust site and hire a remote little spot to hide away in?

crikey
    Free Member

Stockport.

Got a Decathlon and a big Tesco….

birdo
    Free Member

i forgot that . it would be in august.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I honeymooned in Tunisia but you also have Morrocco which is very interesting.
    Suppose that Iceland would be one to give a miss as it will never be bed time lol!

chakaping
    Free Member

We went to Andalucia (the southernmost bit of Spain) for two weeks for ours.

So many beautiful cities and towns, lively or quiet as you want it, wonderful beaches, fantastic walking or biking, amazing food – and pretty cheap by European standards.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

We went to Sorrento (Italy) and stayed here http://www.bristolsorrento.com/en/index.php

It was 12 years ago, but still looks very nice

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What budget? How many days/weeks?

Suggsey
    Free Member

And if you go to Analucia you can take a day trip over to Gibralter and Tangiers in Morrocco!!

SonicTheHedgehog
    Free Member

http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/events_and_leisure/lighthouse_cottages.html

As CaptainFlashheart says, August is good for UK as above.

The Anvil point, Dorset has some of the best riding if you take your bikes 😀

Mrs Birdo may be swayed by a greek island though!!!!!

birdo
    Free Member

i think i ll give stocport a miss 🙂

analucia looks nice as does sorento.

we ll probably be going for 7 to 10 days

mogrim

In August I'd go to north Spain rather than Andalucia, far too hot!

Don't go to Athens, I did for my honeymoon and it was s***.

birdo
    Free Member

sadly the future mrs birdo is not a big biker but is quite the coffe drinker and book reader so she ll be happy to let me go off riding.i need something to do a weeek lying on a beach would kill me

midlifecrashes

Paris

john_drummer
    Free Member

we went to the Algarve – but Lagos rather than the usual Albufeira or Portimao. Really nice. Lagos is a proper working town (with medieval walls in places) rather than a 'resort'. More restaurants than we had mealtimes to use them all, a few bars but no mad all night discos as far as we could tell. There was a pretty good Indian Restaurant up near the fire station too, but that was 1999 so it might not be there any more.

Took some trips out of town as well – Silves up in the hills, Cape St Vincent (the end of the world as far as Europe is concerned), Sagres, and a 'jeep safari' into the Monchique hills. I dare say you could probably do that on an MTB too

Lake Garda, cracking place, lake ferries mountains ice cream. Oh & don't forget your bike.

Big-M
    Free Member

Amalfi Coast in Italy, or the Italian Lakes.

chakaping
    Free Member

In August I'd go to north Spain rather than Andalucia, far too hot!

Good lord yes, me too!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I need something to do….

Oh for the love of God, do I have to explain everything?

Here goes….

When a daddy bunny meets a mummy bunny, and they love each other very much…..

FFS, man, it's your honeymoon! You'll be too busy doing the duvet disco to read books or drink coffee!

Dudie
    Free Member

Ermmm, anywhere on this incredible, beautiful and varied planet you fancy seeing? Just a thought….

birdo
    Free Member

very good point captain. however if i was going to do that all day i would stay at home and spend the money in ann summers instead.

come to think of it thats not such a bad idea…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

birdo, trust me on this. A nice bottle or two of rose, a deserted beach in the Greek Islands and you won't need anything so tacky as Ann Summers to get things going!

If you do, you're marrying the wrong lass. Or she's marrying the wrong chap. 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

Suggsey – Member
    And if you go to Analucia you can take a day trip over to Gibralter and Tangiers in Morrocco!!

mind the bloody apes in Gib though, i got mugged by them last week. 😥

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

with a big enough budget, i'd hop over the iceland, hire a nice car and drive around. might not be the warmest place, but its absolutely stunning… oh, and i'd definitely try and get out of the reykjavik area into the north west and northern regions, plus the interior as well.

birdo
    Free Member

i did think about iceland and scandinavia.i think the mrs wants more sun. is it really exspensive over there.

carlosg
    Free Member

We toured the south west of France , beautiful countryside , vineyards , glorious beaches and exquisite food.
    I'd do it all over again we had an excellent time.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

For 10 days and a three hour flight I agree Greece sounds good. Crete has some great walking/riding and history. There is an amazing hotel with oanyramic views and infinity pools – pay enough and you get a private butler too. Or try a gulet cruise and see lots of little bays/ islands etc

br
    Free Member

can you take the heat of the Med in August – why not the Alps?

mogrim

I'd do a trip through Portugal, Porto and Lisbon are wonderful, end up in the Algarve for a few days of sun/sea/sand.

South west France would be nice, though. Or the Loire valley.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

South west France would be nice

Agreed. I have a friend with a lovely place up in Les Montagnes Noires near Mazamet…….

organic355
    Free Member

I am going to Zermatt, Switzerland for mine in March, but me and the missus are huge snowboarders. But we are going posh and staying in a boutique hotel.

anagallis_arvensis

norway lofoten islands

GrahamS

We went to South Africa and Zambia on ours.

Completely breaks your "no long haul" rule, but it was an absolutely amazing trip and we definitely plan to go back there (once kids are out the way!).

Ti29er
    Free Member

Morocco. A little further afield, Egypt.
    Kenya is a little further still.

But in Augus, N Africa / the M East is going to be HOT!
    Unless you're up high in the mountains.

So Europe / Scandinavia are your likely destinations + the likes of Turkey. Anything in Italy / S France and the like will be packed with tourists!

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Scandinavia can be pretty nice and sunny at that time of the year. Maybe something like a mix of time in Stockholm and kayaking around the Swedish archipelago? It's not too expensive there… Or western Norway around Bergen can be good – but it can also rain a lot.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

ps. I think for a honeymoon you should pick somewhere unusual, that you would never normally think of going to for an "ordinary" summer holiday.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or western Norway around Bergen can be good – but it can also rain a lot.

And it is obscenely expensive there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sv

Not Tunisia! Lake Garda is very nice, so is Tuscany. Italy would be my choice.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Croatia, Korcula and the islands along the dalmation coast are beutiful
    some great biking to had too 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘honeymoon locations ?’ is closed to new replies.