Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Honesty boxes in the White Peak
  • 18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I’ve got a slightly mad idea of riding between as many honesty boxes in the White Peak as possible in a day and then making my tea with whatever I manage to buy. Unfortunately I only know of a 4 or 5 and they mostly sell jam or marmalade, so does anyone know of any honesty boxes other than:

The farm on church lane in Great Longston (Milk and eggs)
    Dale Farm in Rowland (not been yet but I gather they have a lot)
    House on the right going up Rowland (Not been in a while so not sure if they still put a box out, always had nice jam, marmalade and curds)
    House in Edensor (Again, jam and marmalade)
    Farm between the Hassop-Calver road and Baslow (Veg, again not checked for a while)

That’s all I can think of (Can you guess where I used to live?) but I’m sure I remember buying some lovely ginger crunch biscuits somewhere, possibly Chatsworth way, once.

Cheers,
    Matt

thepodge
    Free Member

There is one up the hill from chatsworth, through the little village on your way back to bakewell that does fudge and cake.

There is also one just below barn farm campsite in birchover but I think it’s jams and marmalade again

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

Thanks, I think your first one might be the one I’m thinking of in Edensor

Esme
    Free Member

So, you’re intending to take a box of eggs mountain-biking? 😯

garage-dweller

^^^ if you do may I be first to say we will need pictures 😀

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I’m probably going to do it on the road bike as I have a feeling I’ll need to cover some miles to get some variation. All the ones so far are easily accessible on road

(Even if I was doing it MTB the eggs would survive as I’ve got so many rad skills I just float over the rough stuff. Either that or I’d have an omelette that just needed heating up by the time I got back)

jonathan
    Free Member

Great idea – might have to give that a go round here (NYM). No white peak knowledge to add 🙂

nickdavies

Eggs from the house on the left just before the turning up back lane as you climb out of darley dale. (5 dales route in the white peak book if that makes no sense)

LS
    Free Member

There’s one going up Sydnope hill out of Darley Dale, on the left just before the rough track turns off. I can’t remember what it sells though, might be kindling 😀

Edit – yeah that one ^, probably best to get the eggs after coming down Back Lane rather than just before going up!

matt_outandabout

What a fabulous idea – please take some pics and share here when you have done it…

MrNice
    Free Member

I got some nice marmalade in Baslow a few weeks ago (just up the hill from the Spar). No help really since you’ve already got that covered and I’m struggling to think of anywhere doing anything other than eggs and jam.

Esme
    Free Member

Are you also “allowed” to collect free stuff you spot on the ride?
    I was thinking more of apples and bilberries, rather than sheep or rabbits.

Otherwise it’ll be scrambled eggs followed by jam omelette for tea 🙁

simonbowns
    Free Member

Milk in Longstone too fella, not that that’s much of an ingredient! Count me in on this btw.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Esme, you beat me to suggesting that ‘foraging’ be included as a source of ingredients…

and how do we feel about eating road-kill?

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve also had a couple from twitter/facebook. There’s one in Aston and another in Edale but not sure what either has to offer. I need a few more a bit more spaced out (something buxton direction/Tideswell/Youlgreave etc would be good) to make it a proper route. Still looking like I’m going to get a lot of eggs and jam though. Hmmmmmm…………

I’m up for foraging too, just not sure what I’ll find tbh!

RustySpanner

If you wait a few weeks I know where you can get some really nice mushrooms.
    🙂

simonbowns
    Free Member

See my FB post fella, there’s something in Youlgreave with more than just eggs and jam.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Honesty boxes in the White Peak’ is closed to new replies.