Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Honda CRV 2008 as a bike bike carrier and motorbike trailering vehicle
  • weeksy

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201240487371573/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-from/6000/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/price-to/10000/fuel-type/diesel/model/cr-v/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/ox119lx/page/5/radius/1501?logcode=p

What do you rekon to this then lads ? went to view it today and looks sweet, seems excellent, loads of space for multiple bikes for a few trips to France planned next year. decent economy, Whatcar and parkers seem to like them….

Anyone have real world experiences ?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

’04 so previous model- you’ve seen the amount of space in them. Handling isn’t great and it’s a bit thirsty, but it’s comfortable and reliable. getting on for 100k miles and still going strong. Cruises MoTs with low spend. tax is quite high though. Overall tax v low maintenance probably cancel each other out
    If you want to get from a to b without making a fuss about it and don’t mistake your car for your personality, it’s a real contender.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Fuel consumption figures tend to be optimistic in my experience real world c30mpg so running costs can be quite high. The SE is a relatively low spec version.

Richard

Hoff

I bought an 09 ES model about 3-months ago & have done about 7,000 miles in in that time, nice comfy seating position(no bad back)

Bought it for pretty much the same reasons that you are & like you said, loads of space it, especially for a growing family & all the stuff that ends up getting carted about.

I get about 42mpg at 70mph on a motorway run & find that it handles quite well…

No complaints from me…owning one might make me slightly biased though!?

weeksy

OK, i’m sold 🙂

z1ppy

Depending on your paranoia levels, you may want to ask the mods to remove the link, as it seemingly has you postcode in it…

weeksy

it would if i hadn’t moved from there 7 years ago 🙂

i’m not that daft fella.

z1ppy

😉

Bregante

Depending on your paranoia levels, you may want to ask the mods to remove the link, as it seemingly has you postcode in it…

Lol I posted up an autotrader ad for a Honda recently on a thread and I got an email from an STW’er warning me of the same thing. If any would be crims had any ideas they would have soon been disappointed. The post code was for Grey Mare Lane Police Station in Manchester! 😆

curvature
    Free Member

Looks a nice car to me.

I have looked at the SE and the ES model and would try to get the ES if you can. Nicer outside and lots more toys inside too.

I’m also looking at Jeep Patriots with the VW diesel engine. More economical than the CRV but shorter service intervals. However you can get one with under 40k on the clock for the same price as the CRV.

weeksy

i’m not too worried about toys in all honesty. The higher spec means either older model or higher mileage.

weeksy

Bought it today 🙂

29er fits perfectly in there standing up with front wheel out.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

ah, I was going to ask if you’d considered the accord tourer or FRV if you don’t need 4WD. I guess neither will be as tall inside, anyway….

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Bought it today

Just wondering – does it have the free picnic table under the boot carpet?

weeksy

i dunno if this is a joke/wind-up or…..

LOL but the answer when i looked appeared to be no mate. Carpet there fits flush and is solid… but i certainly never noticed anything under there.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

as I said, older model, but I had mine for nearly 2 years before I happened to look here (see the table legs?)

where i found

Honda used to sell an umbrella which fits into the hole in the table.

weeksy

Awsome… i’ll have a look when i collect 🙂

tegski
    Free Member

Not a wind up and mine has been very useful as a drinks table for xc races or food at 24hr races!!!
    My Anthem 29er also fits in nicely with front wheel off, when you roll one back seat forward and up (you will see what I mean), diagonally in back. Very fast to do.

tegski
    Free Member

Also our car is up to 175,000km and still purrs like new. Just std servicing done – could not be happier.

stumpyjon

It should be there, our 56 plate model has the table as the base of the boot. Good bike car but ours is thirsty. Good for running around the forest roads at Gisburn when trail; building.

Just a slight warning there’s a recall out for 2002 to 2006 models built in Swindon. Apparently a faulty seal on the window switch on the drivers door can let in water and make the car explode (or possibly cause a slight short and a bit of smell, so either get your car back to a dealership or stop pouring your coke into the door panel).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-19869616

weeksy

Mine is an 08 mate. Doesn’t come with table apparently after a bit of Google searching.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

bummer – life just wouldn’t be the same without my free picnic table (now that I know about it) 😆

weeksy

from Tues:
    there is a minor concern from that link to the review on Honest John.

Honda CR-V 2007 – Car Review | Honest John

21-7-2012: Report of squeaking clutch pedal, only curable by fitting a replacement pedal box and clutch master cylinder at a cost of £350.

Which my new motor does indeed seem to suffer with. I noticed it when out on the test drive and assumed it was a spring / lube issue.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/10015-squeaky-clutch-pedal.html

next day:
    So i’m sitting in a bit of a quandry now. Dealer called me and they’ve had it up on the ramps etc and don’t believe it’s the master cylinder itself, they rekon it’s caused by the rod where it meets the MC more likley.

The problem is that he wasn’t entirely filling me with confidence with the ‘we’ve fixed it’

He was more like “well yeah, we’re happy enough, there’s sometimes a small noise but we rekon it’s OK”.

Now, i’m spending £8000 of my hard earned so i REALLY want it to be right… but Hondas’ seem to be slightly suspect in the squeaky clutch dept anyhow, no matter which one.

Put it this way, if it hadn’t made a noise at all i would be ecstatic with it… i’d be sitting here desperately waiting for Sat so i can collect…. Instead… i’m sitting here with doubts…

Hmmmmmm

weeksy

Well i bought the Honda… It’s bloody lovely i must say. It did a superb job of getting a tonne of shopping in along with my mums wheelchair/walker which i couldn’t do with the Mondeo, so already it’s performed well 🙂

Managed 47.6mpg according to the on-board computer over a mix of inner town and A road driving, which i’m more than happy with.

No squeaking from the clutch pedal, although a couple of other random vibrations lol. I’ll investigate. Was a bit of a tricky fella to get parked at home as i’m still not quite au fait with the length of it yet…

Very happy though 🙂

TiRed

Great cars. We have the Mk 2 diesel. Over 100K without fault. 700L in the boot and yes, my 29er sits inside with ease. They were designed for real off roading. The new one is a bit soft and more car like. The old one had the picnic table, and was designed for a second spare wheel (expedition). That void is our wetsuit store. You’ll enjoy it in the snow.

When ours dies, we’ll replace it with the newer version.

Bregante

How are you getting on with the CR-V? I’ve been looking at a 58 plate today and am tempted to finally (reluctantly) chop in the FR-V for one.

weeksy

Simple answer is mate, i love the CR-V.

I had an issue with a squeaky clutch, this was resolved by the dealer with a new clutch master cylinder on Tues.

I’m getting 42mpg out of it, i’ve had it for 960 miles.

Comfort is excellent. Space is superb. The fit and finish is GREAT.

I spent £400 on a set of Alloys (mine is ES model with steels) and sold the steels for £245.

The only fault, if you can call it that is the steering… it’s… well.. a bit WEIRD !!!! the previous models had issues with understeer, the way the CR-V steers almost feels like it has understeer, but doesn’t…. strange.

However the above fault in no way puts me off the motor at all. It’s just a truely excellent machine.

29er goes in with seats folded up and the front wheel out, bike standing up. So i can get 3 people and 3 bikes in easily enough.

I guess you could call the rear window a minor issue, when it’s wet it does get very dirty on the door/window.. although it comes with a wiper lol… but i’m an aesthetics kind of guy, so hate it getting dirty hahaha.

Radio good, ipod player good, the clocks/dials are all good although the MPG display is slightly distracting.

All in all… 9/10.

Bregante

Cheers. I’ve been running the FR-V now for over 6 years and it’s still a superb car but sometimes, you just feel its time for a change. I thought I’d convinced the wife at the weekend too, until a random stranger walked up to us on a car park and started waxing lyrical about how he and his wife wished they’d never sold their FR-V “best car ever” etc – before getting into their new Audi A6 avant! (I’m sure she paid them 👿 )

weeksy

IF you’re based in/around Berks, Ayles, Dunstable you’re more than welcome to have a drive mate and a poke around.

Bregante

Thanks but I’m in Manchester. Might have to sort a sneaky test drive on my day off!

weeksy

Well in ther interest of fairness, i thought i’d post an update. The car went back and had a new clutch master cylinder due to the clutch ‘squeak’. Sadly this hasn’t resolved the issue fully and it now has the ‘creak’ or ‘click’ or a combination of both to an extent. In all honesty, i’m being VERY picky about this as 90% of the time when you have the radio on you can’t even notice it… but… when you know it’s THERE it irritates you more than you can imagine.

Credit to the dealer, he’s been GREAT. Offering a full refund or a swap to whatever i chose and he could find of course. So i have a 2010 Mondeo 2.0 CDTI arrivng next week.

russ295
    Free Member

Don’t know if any of you are interested but I have a oem roof rack for the crv. Had it on my 07 but part ex’ed it for a Volvo.
    Don’t think anything was ever strapped to it.
    Would prob have to be collected (Tyneside) or poss a courier.
    Any offers

weeksy

Well after just on 4 weeks the CR-V was returned to the dealer today. I then bought a 2010 Mondeo with the money. I’m happy 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Honda CRV 2008 as a bike bike carrier and motorbike trailering vehicle’ is closed to new replies.