Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Honda Civic bike carrying capabilities
  • gaberin
    Free Member

Looking to buy a Honda Civic 2010 model so not the current one, just wondering if they are good for carrying bikes.. They look like they would be with the fold flat seat.
    Would want to fit my large Bronson in and another bike without having to take the rear wheels off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers

rmgvtec
    Free Member

I think they are the same floorpan as the current shape. My bikes fit no probs with just the front wheel out. Road bike goes in complete.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Yes they are good with that regard. Wheels off, you can get too behind the front seats and still have the boot empty for kit etc. Floor is pretty flat and its a good useful shape/size.

Roof bars can be a strange one, I had Ateras and they wern’t as solid as the ones you’d fit to rails and if you get a three door or glass roof (like the EX trim) that limits you further

Sadly the 2017 version being released in spring loses the magic seats but the rear suspension (which is poor) should be improved

teethgrinder

Large 2015 26″ Banshee Spitfire fits wheels on.

Pickers

I have one of those, 2x 29ers with the front wheels off is easy with room to spare. Glass roof, as above, severely limits roof bars.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Have a civic ,easy to get my alpine 5 and Five in there at the same time with the seats down + over night bags and other kit , easier still chucking them on the roof 127mm thule bars

stevio

Just been fitting Thule wing bars today to my new (to me…) 2015 Civic tourer – think i’m not going to miss the folding step i had to use to get to it’s predecessor on the previous Grand Picasso that a Domino’s driver killed….

jambalaya
    Free Member

@deadkenny of this Parish had one, send him a message. He used to put bike in back with seats down

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yep, 2008 model, which think is same 8th gen as the 2010? Should be similar space anyway. Seats down, front wheel off, in it goes no problem.

Both wheels off can get two, possibly three if you stack them with something between them to avoid scratches. Definitely two as done that a few times inc my bike and an XL Tallboy down to the alps with lots of kit and the XL sized passenger comfortable in passenger seat.

Can get an official Honda fork mount that sits in the spare wheel space in the boot and can stand bike up, though only one bike. Stood up and secured somehow, should be able to get two or three stacked side by side though not tried.

Another option is you can fold rear seats up giving space in the rear with boot still like a normal boot. Not sure on fit though especially with long bars.

P.s. worth getting a boot liner. I’ve got one from Hatchbag.co.uk

spooky_b329

As above, in the boot fairly easily, for a run down to the Alps we got three strapped into the rear foot well and covered from prying eyes, leaving the boot with parcel shelf for bags and junk. Makes for an easier journey with no bike rack to worry about.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah they’re great – the roomiest hatchback I’m aware of with the seats folded flat. There’s also a hidden space under the boot floor which adds to the volume available. Because of the petrol tank placement (under the front seats, unusually) the rear seats fold down very low which makes it a doddle getting bikes in.

The folding up magic seats might be useful if you get the 5 door version (I gather you can slide a bike (bag) in) but I had a 3 door ’58 (typeR) so never really used that. Managed to get 3 mountain bikes & 3 people in once though. It was tight but still doable so I consider that to be pretty decent. In fact I suspect I couldn’t do that in my current car – 2007 3 series touring.

gaberin
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys, sounds like just what I’m looking for – just got to find one now 😆

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I know of someone who is selling a 2.2 Diesel Civic(3door)(2009). Want about £3200 for it

spooky_b329

I don’t think the 3dr has the magic seats. They are useful when you buy tall pot plants, or want to take dustbins to empty at the tip 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t think the 3dr has the magic seats.

Mine had, sort of. You can fold them up, but the release catch is a bit stiff. I think they use the same mechanism but Honda removed the handle for the 3dr as if to say “don’t try to fold the seats up.” To be fair as per my previous post, without back doors they’re of limited use.

gallowayboy

Plenty room for bikes (we’ve got three bikes plus kit and three of us in there) but watch out for the fuel consumption if you get the petrol!

gaberin
    Free Member

Yeah I’m currently looking at the si 2.2 I ctdi, my budgets around £3500, so will probably end up with a fairly high mileage ~ 100,000.
    I think I would want the 5 door, for the ease of packing and the fact you can fit a towbar.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I am up in Cumbria. The car has about 72k on the clock, (it’s my neighbours wife’s car, owned from new etc. ) In black. If interested let me know and I can give you his details 🙂

gaberin
    Free Member

@monkeysfeet – if you could give me the details, that would be great.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Email me at clwydlettings at gmail dot com and I will pass you the details.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I have a boot liner for sale (not much ££!) if you end up with one. I had a 2011 Si with towbar for two years so can probably help with questions.

On the diesel check the clutch- earlier ones were a bit weak. Also earlier cars had issues with roof rust (windscreen/roof joint).

Civinfo forum is an excellent resource

spooky_b329

Ours is a 2009 and had the well known clutch issues, thanfully Honda picked up most of the bill (car was on about 90k as well so quite impressed) We also got the bubbly windscreen joint but unfortunately only noticed it once out of the bodywork guarantee.

How much for the boot liner?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Liner is one of these I believe with the tailgate flap.. Titan

I can do photos etc. £15+ postage sound fair?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Another option is you can fold rear seats up giving space in the rear with boot still like a normal boot. Not sure on fit though especially with long bars.

Had a large cotic soul when I had my civic. Not a chance of it going in there with both wheels off and 750mm bars. You’d need to take the bars off.

spooky_b329

Good price for the boot liner, however wife doesn’t want it! Doh!

She also didn’t want the replacement mats I bought, so if anyone wants a practically brand new set of 4 floor mats, let me know. They are decent heavy rubber mats, not the plastic checker plate style rubbish on eBay.

gaberin
    Free Member

@rockythreegozy i’ll probably take the boot liner of you.

Cheers

andyg1966

Look out for the infamous Squeaky Clutch Pedal. Ours have it and Honda have failed to fix it. Its had 4 new master cylinders and still does it. Were out of warranty and good will on a 7 year old 2.2 diesel.

Civic Forum

Very spacious, quick, economical so otherwise good.

canopy
    Free Member

I’ve got a ’55 5-door Civic I have taken a single bike in the back, but really. I don’t want to get the insides dirty.

I use a tail gate rack which never gets folded flat. I leave it in position ready to use hung up high out of the way at home. It fits through the rear-door onto the back seat when I’m out riding, and goes back on in under a minute.

Downside is obviously, security. I can’t stop to nip in a supermarket on the way home etc But I can take 1x29er and 2x26ers (but not 2x29ers & a 26er)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Honda Civic bike carrying capabilities’ is closed to new replies.