Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • HONC roll call & probably discussion about tyres/crossbikes/etc
  • clubber
    Free Member

For all the friendly STWers who’d like a friendly hello/wave from other STWers at HONC at the weekend, post your vitals. It’s looking like it’s going to be a great day for it.

I’ll be the tall bloke probably on a Dolan cross bike (if it’s not rut-tastic in which case I’d be on a Rocky Mountain full susser) wearing Las Vegas Institute of Sport purple and yellow kit. In fact, I’ll look remarkably similar to this handsome chap…

MrAgreeable

Another Vegas-er here, I’ll be on a blue Jake with brown bar tape, probably looking a lot less serious than here:

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Say hi if you see me.

clubber
    Free Member

ADH – liar. You can’t grow a moustache as good as that 😉

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – after my comment about the weather above, I’ve just seen the forecast

Heavy rain for Saturday – that should make it interesting…

MrAgreeable

Check the 3/4s Clubber, that’s ADH alright. He never leaves home without them.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’ve got the sidies sorted, but you’re right clubber, the ‘tash is a stick on performance enhancer.

hh45
    Free Member

can anyone recommend a good b+ b around winchcombe?

youngj1
    Free Member

I’ll look remarkably similar to this handsome chap…

except a little softer round the edges 😉

The weather is not looking so bad here…. I’ll average it out and go for a bit of rain on Sat, just to soften it up for the crossers!

You know I’ll be there – and will be on the trusty Karbona (although maybe I should have kept the muddy tyres on there a bit longer!)

FivebarG
    Free Member

Was out riding in the general area of the HONC last night with the local club and the ground was perfect. Even had some issues due to dust in places!!. A little rain Saturday isn’t going to do a lot of harm…………. famous last words……

martyntr
    Free Member

:mrgreen: I’ll be there on a cx(ish) bike… can’t wait !!!! 8)

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’ll be riding my Gold Orange Five, running 2.1 High Rollers or Small Block 8s depending on the weather. I’ll be in my Fat Cyclist Jersey (WIN Susan!) as I still haven’t sorted the Cheesy Riders ones yet.

In fact I’ll probably be dressed exactly as below only with my pimpy new bronze-coloured SPD shoes courtesy of Mrs Lake for my recent birthday!

youngj1
    Free Member

Looks like bronze shoes are in this year…. I like to describe mine as gold though!

clubber
    Free Member

They’re definitely ‘Olympic Gold’ 😉

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I will be there on the Solitude drop-bar 29er and CDW frame-bag (niche kite)

Becca will be on her Solly 29er with Thudbuster post.

Conti Twister 42c and Schwalbe LandCruiser 40c will be the tyres of choice, plenty of tarmac so a little rain won’t hurt.

SSP

youngj1
    Free Member

Thinking of improving them with a pot of imperial purple paint, thin paint brush and a steady hand to fill in the gaps….

GaryLake
    Free Member

Looks like bronze shoes are in this year…. I like to describe mine as gold though!

Is it these ones?

singlespeedstu

I’ll be on this with the Mrs.

Or if it’s very wet I’ll be on this.

And she’ll be on this.

youngj1
    Free Member

GaryLake – yep the very same…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ll be on Cannondale Rush, WTB Nanoraptor on the front and WTB Vulpine on the rear.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I will stop digressing after this… very nice shoe – only worn mine twice but no breaking in required (did 50km in them on first ride) and they seem to have struck the perfect balance between ‘trainer’ comfort and just about raceable stiff.

So, the HONC, man, I was a bit worried about being fit for the 100km, now I’m just worried about the navigation – for those that know me I’m no carrier pigeon (my best was getting us lost in the Quantocks due to some dodgy map I found on the internet and a broken compass!)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

So, the HONC, man, I was a bit worried about being fit for the 100km, now I’m just worried about the navigation – for those that know me I’m no carrier pigeon

I feel your pain I am useless at navigation.

GaryLake
    Free Member

LVIS are going to be well represented then – how many you got going? The Cheesy’s are taking about 11 I think – shame we don’t have kit yet… (my fault)

MrAgreeable

Kingtut, you’re running a semislick? 😯 That’ll be fun in the mud.

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto on the gold shoes – very happy with mine.

For the navigation, you can usually follow people but you obviously risk other people making mistakes too.

After about 5 HONCs, I decided that despite never actually getting lost I didn’t really enjoy the stop/starting to read the map/check directions so I got a GPS for last year – brilliant – I could just ride and not have to think about directions and I had one of my most enjoyable days on a bike ever 🙂

MrAgreeable

Gary, navigation is a doddle, just follow one of the old guys with map holders.

I’ve actually made myself a map board for this year. It’s the new GPS doncha know.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Kingtut, you’re running a semislick? [8O] That’ll be fun in the mud.

With an XC tyre up front it should be fine, considering how much road there will be I’ll take the trade off.

MrAgreeable

It’s OK fella, I’m just winding you up. 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

After about 5 HONCs, I decided that despite never actually getting lost I didn’t really enjoy the stop/starting to read the map/check directions so I got a GPS for last year – brilliant – I could just ride and not have to think about directions and I had one of my most enjoyable days on a bike ever [:)]

I’m gonna feign injury and ride with you clubber.

😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member

It’s OK fella, I’m just winding you up. [:wink:]

You’re a very mean man.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I figure the risk of following someone and getting lost is worthwhile – I know I’m guaranteed to get lost so I might as chance picking someone who looks fairly knowledgeable and them not actually getting me lost! 😀

clubber
    Free Member

I’m going to get lost, just to spite you, KingT

Now, THAT is mean 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’m going to get lost, just to spite you, KingT

Now, THAT is mean [:)]

😡

MrAgreeable

This guy has instructions on how to make your own map holder. It’s pretty big – I wonder if he takes off on downhills?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=4262&v=T

GaryLake
    Free Member

Doesn’t look very compatible with my ‘FREERIDE TO THE MAXXX’ Holzfeller stem 🙄

weaty
    Free Member

I think I will make my mind up at about 5am sunday morning, could be a silver jake the snake or a rigid red voodoo wanga.
    My mate will be on a navy blue garry fisher giving me a toe 🙂

Custom map board for me too

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Kingtut, you’re running a semislick?

Didn’t you know that narrow hard larsens are like dragging a concrete block around with you on the road? 🙄

I’ll have my patent mapboard Mk 2.5 with me. Navigating is all part of the fun IMO.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Hmmm, I hadn’t considered a map board.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Hmmm, I hadn’t considered a map board.

Awesome.

*rubs hands*

Its gotta be carbon fibre kingtut. If you use just 3 zip ties it saves a good 5 grams too.

MrAgreeable

They don’t do an XTR one Kingtut, you wouldn’t be interested.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘HONC roll call & probably discussion about tyres/crossbikes/etc’ is closed to new replies.