Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • HONC – how hard?
  • nickdavies

Totally forgot I’d signed up for this and have eaten pasties and cake all year and ridden the bike about 3 times.

Got the route and not quite sure how I’ll fare, comparing it to my last decent mtb ride end of Nov last year 61k in the peak with 1900m of climbing in just under 6hrs moving time.

There’s a lot more road in the HONC route its 98k with 1400m of climbing – wondering if I can get round it in less than 8 hours. 50k wouldn’t be a problem but that just feels like cheating.!

Anybody else gonna be at the back of the pack with me???

Trimix
    Free Member

If its not wet / muddy its very easy. Its not really off road mountain biking, more a nice ride on back lanes and some easy bridleways.

Pump up your tyres and you will find it fine.

Just don’t bother if its been raining, the Cotswold mud is horrible.

peteimpreza

As Trimix says, it’s all dependant on the weather. If the trails are dry and hard and the winds not blowing on the day it will be great.

nemesis
    Free Member

What Trimix said. I did my first one in horrendous conditions and despite finishing within 15 minutes of the ‘winner’ it took over 6 hours. People were still coming in from the 100k well after 9 hours.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I did it once many, many (20ish?) years ago on a fine day. It was a lovely country ride with plenty of time for food and drink stops and all done by very early afternoon. The only thing that marred the day was all the people trying to tell me how hard it had been the previous year in knee deep mud 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Roughly how much road is there?

Sam

The amount of road varies by year, I think it’s generally about 40% of the total distance. There are some pretty solid climbs and if it’s muddy and windy it can be a very tough ride. This will be the first one I’ve missed for a few years 🙁

peteimpreza

“Roughly how much road is there? “

The guy who creates the route each year posts on here from time to time so hopefully he will be along to confirm.

But I am fairly sure he once told me the amount of road is never more than 60% and never leas than 40%.

nickdavies

Just looking quickly at it on bike hike it looks like about 85% marked as path on the google map. Obviously some of this will be on rutted paths etc I haven’t bothered to check the OS map yet to see what exactly the breakdown is. I’d guess it’s probably about 1/2 and 1/2 from looking at the first few k’s.

Looks like it’ll be a cracking day out if the sun shines though!

nemesis
    Free Member

When the weather/conditions are nice it’s one of the most enjoyable bike events I’ve ridden.

When it’s not…

(Actually I get a perverse pleasure out of that too but…)

russyh
    Free Member

Managed to get an entry in thin year planning on doing the 100k so not bike fit at the moment, planning on having a play tomorrow on some on the route.

guystabler
    Free Member

Nice and easy. Just take your time and no issues. There isn’t much climbing.

v666ern
    Free Member

Nick, I’ve got a 1 month old and haven’t ridden since New Years day. Ill be happy to just finish the 50k

iain65
    Free Member

It’s much the same course as three years ago, which was fairly fast and not too taxing. The last climb over Cleeve is tough if the wind is wrong however. It’s certainly the easiest start you can get our of Winchcombe because it’s a smooth untarmaced road effectively. There is a lot of road this year, the muddiest bit will be the run down to the Warren about 10/15 miles in.
    I was going to ride the bits you are allowed to tomorrow so will report back if anyone is interested. It has been raining a lot here so some bits will be claggy, but not like 2 years ago which was hell!
    Iain

v666ern
    Free Member

Ian yes please it’ll be my first time, did the madorc last year which was fun

iain65
    Free Member

I think the madorc is harder but that’s only from reports of friends that rode it – more single track. The cool thing about the honc is 1350 other people in a mass start, pretty amazing 🙂

nickdavies

Given the amount of road, what’s the etiquette?
    Lycra or baggies?… 😆

russyh
    Free Member

I did the long Madorc last year, that was a tough event. Mainly due to the extra 10k + I had to ride when getting lost due to the lack of markers. It completely psyched me out. Will still do it again this year mind!

shanta
    Free Member

Did it last year for the first time. Trails were dry and really enjoyed it. However i remember think as i was riding that i bet its a mre in the wet due to being across alot of exposed farmers fields. Anyhow, im in again this year but must admit if the forecast is bad i might skip it.

grahamh
    Free Member

This year’s route is a 70/30 split, so would favour a cx bike this year

ironbrucove

Graham, what’s the going like? Sticky, or dryish?

Nipper99
    Free Member

Really looking forward to this – either cx bike or Peregrine monster cross depending on the weather.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its not a ‘great’ ride on a mountain bike, more a ‘nice’ ride. On a CX bike its probably much more enjoyable.

grahamh
    Free Member

I haven’t looked at the weeks weather yet, but conditions where ok over the last week. Very much wait and see at the moment.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Have you guys had any info from the organisers ?

I’m apparently in but not heard anything since entering and paying.

grahamh
    Free Member

The final email should be going out this weekend, so between now and Monday.

lump

Had the event email in the week, ive forwarded it to you. Is anyone staying at the campsite Brooklands Farm Saturday ??

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Got your email, thanks.

Next slight issue is I note you need your confirmation email to register at the start.

Don’t think I ever had a confirmation email !

mtbtom
    Free Member

If the weather’s horrible, dropping down to the 50k isn’t a bad idea. You get the option usually between 1/3 and 2/3s of the way round to take the shorter route.

Lots of people ride cyclocross bikes. If it’s muddy stay away from full suspension bikes with limited mud clearance. Did it on a Remedy on a wet year and regretted it. Sofa suspension on the road and the tyre scraping mud off on the rear triangle off road.

Is a really great event though. Old school XC riding, like it used to be before trail centres were invented. 😉

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Update. Massively impressed.

Sent an email 20 minutes ago to the organiser, since when I have had a phone call and my original entry confirmation resent.
    (computer meltdown recently meant I lost saved files)

Thanks again.

iain65
    Free Member

Rode about 55miles of the route today (the legal stuff!), and the route is holding up well, a couple of muddy bits – the first one about 18 miles in (just east of Snowshill) on the bit through the trees and then down the valley to the Warren, that was horrible! The other bit that was a struggle for traction was with about 10 miles to go where you turn left of the road and go straight up the bridleway – just out of Sevenhampton.

The route looks like a good compromise for the weather, it had been raining all night and most of the day, so considering this it should be a good day out.

See you there!

russyh
    Free Member

Iain we did the same today, lots of road. That bit under the trees was bloody awful. we did some slightly off piste bits and it was wheel clogging muddy. Otherwise a pleasant route, cx bike would be so much quicker round. Felt like I needed slicks for 3/4 of the route

iain65
    Free Member

Hi RussyH, that’s what I thought, thunder burt on the rear for definite, not sure about the front yet – will depend on weather this week. I think I’m getting too old to get battered on a cx bike round the course these days! But it would be the quickest way.

russyh
    Free Member

Been thinking about tyres this evening, I have nothing super fast rolling for my 650b looked at thunder berts, but would love some advice on very fast rolling 650b tyres.

The first propper climb I found tough going today, just kept going and going! So not nike fit at the moment, But it should spread the field a bit!

guystabler
    Free Member

Would Thunder Burts be a nightmare in the muddy sections? Not used them before but got one for the rear if things dry up!

iain65
    Free Member

Russy, Schwalbe Thunder Burt EVO Snakeskin – very fast, Racing Ralph, still fast but likely to clog a bit if muddy., Rocket Ron’s are a good compromise for the front if muddy. Wiggle have deals on on some tyres just now, otherwise try Bike-discount.de, their prices are great just now with the way the Euro is. Play safe and only go for the Snakeskin EVO Tubless easy version. Hope this helps a bit, there are also lots of other good tyres from Maxxis and Conti but Schwalbe are a good place to start.

Ps have a look at http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com

ononeorange

Wish I was doing it.

But I’ll raise your “horrible Cotswolds mud” with my far worse Chilterns mud!!

qwerty
    Free Member

70/30

Not for me this year, anyone need my entry? email in profile

wingnuts

Emailed re entry.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Gloucestershire trails update.

Admittedly I’m 25 miles from Winchcombe however still on top of the Cotswolds with similar weather

Two hot and dry days have dried up the trails well.
    Still that greasy top layer of mud in the damp spots but improving by the hour.

Weather forecast between now and Sunday warm and practically dry, so it’s looking positive.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘HONC – how hard?’ is closed to new replies.