Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • HONC
  • hoopyfrood
    Free Member

The 50 and 100 routes split before the feed stop at Guiting Power. If you want a 75ish route you can do the long route to Guiting Power and then take the short route back to Winchcombe (or the short route to Guiting and the long route back to Winchcombe).

mattsccm
    Free Member

That’s what I was on about. Ta

Nipper99
    Free Member

Anyone in the area. Is it all bone dry for this weekend?

peteimpreza

pretty much 😀

It is the Cotswolds however , I am sure there will be at least one patch of our special “dust” somewhere .

I am preparing for a warm dry ride overall .

IHN

Yeah, conditions in the ‘Wolds can be described as ‘chuffing lovely’.

Wish I’d entered now 🙁

Metasequoia

It’s going to be dry and fast 🙂

russyh
    Free Member

Looking forward to it! Looks set to be hot, so make sure you pack the water!

Hells

Looking forward to fast & dry conditions, especially after last year’s mud!

chowsh
    Free Member

Entry going spare if anyone wants – see my other post. Mail in profile.

mrmo
    Free Member

pretty much

It is the Cotswolds however , I am sure there will be at least one patch of our special “dust” somewhere

I have been told the very end might be quite special.

mattsccm
    Free Member

After much fuss fitting tubeless Cx tyres I am tempted to chuck the 30mm tubeless road tyres on. Used road tyre previously in dry years.

grahamh
    Free Member

Just back from putting signs up on part of the route.
    Its dry out there, a few damp patches and the odd puddle, otherwise just dust.

mboy
    Free Member

How does the route fare this year grahamh? More road or off road? If you had the choice of 29er HT or CX bike, which would you chose this year?

grahamh
    Free Member

It’s about 50/50, what you should be worried about is the amount of climbing
    😆

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’m guessing the climbing can only be 50/50!

mboy
    Free Member

what you should be worried about is the amount of climbing

Done 35-40km on the full sus bike @ Staunton the last 3 weekends… Between 1200-1400m of climbing (on a 32lb bike with slow rolling tyres!) each weekend.

Considering I’ve only got time for the 50k tomorrow, I’m more worried about getting beat up on a CX bike or not! 😉

iain65
    Free Member

I rode over the 100k course on Thursday, there were still a few puddles but conditions were as good as I’ve ever seen, apart from the horrible last section where instead of ending on a grin inducing descent down Cleave the route goes through a series of fields and gates, up a leg breaking climb, along a properly muddy track and down a small descent – very odd choice for the last section..

Should be good fun though, lovely weather here today. I’ve also got the pleasure of riding with 5 other team mates who will probably rip my legs of. If you see an old bloke hanging on the back of a fast moving group in bright orange kit, that’s me!

peteimpreza

Ah well , it’s the HONC .

It’s not meant to be easy .

It’s not a race .

It’s not an MTB event .

Heading over in a few minutes.

Enjoy everyone!

mrmo
    Free Member

i suppose i better get up, meant to marshalling and tail ending.

Just a polite reminder, if a gate says please shut it, can you please shut it.

superstu
    Free Member

Sat in the car at the moment having got here twenty minutes ago (setting off at five to be here). How quick is the pace to ensure you can do the 100km? I’d love to but think I’ll be pushed to do the 50. Either way weather looks great and I’m very excited.

singletrackmind

No cut offs as far as I know , so as long as you can average say 10km per hr for 10hrs you wil be fine ( thats only 6.2mph , which considering its 50% tarmac will be easy – unless you have serious mechanical)

iain65
    Free Member

Good fun today and the course had dried up nicely from when I went over it on Thursday. Bit of family success also, my wife was first women back in the 50k, my son was first junior and 4th back in the 50k, I managed to drag myself round to 5th in the 100k and my slightly (a lot!!) quicker team mate nearly went under 4 hours to be first rider back in the 100k. Just about to crack open a beer and fire up the barby!

Hope everyone else had good fun and no one got hurt anywhere. Thanks again to the organisers for great organisation, signage was also good and nice they could also arrange the weather to be so good!

russyh
    Free Member

I had a great day, conditions were prime. Cramped massively in both legs about 5k from the end annoyingly. But cracking day none the less. Got some nukelear sheep shit stuck to my frame I cannot shift.

mrmo
    Free Member

No cut offs as far as I know , so as long as you can average say 10km per hr for 10hrs you wil be fine ( thats only 6.2mph , which considering its 50% tarmac will be easy – unless you have serious mechanical)

Not strictly true, the long route was closed at about 2pm and all riders sent back on the short route.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Tough day on the cross bike being dry!
    Normally take my 29er hardtail which would have excelled today!
    Never mind,come back with sore knees,neck and back!
    All good fun!
    Great event!
    Max

superstu
    Free Member

Also on a CX, felt massively smug on road but hard work on the downs…you earn them with the amount of climbing but couldn’t relax as much as on the MTB.

What a great event though. I was super slow but did the 100, weather helped but best signage of any event I’ve been too and marshalls / volunteers who were really chatty and really enthusiastic. Most of the people riding were in good spirits too, not too competitive. Fantastic.

They could rename it Hills of the North Cotswolds though. Those climbs… 😆

nickdavies

My everything hurts. Dragged myself around it but having been on the bike about 3 times so far this year can’t say I really felt the love after about 40k.. so I snuck onto the 50k after the lunch stop and got about 80k in. Back in 6 hours, slow but steady! Cracking weather though, and kudos to the guys and girls that all help put it on.

karlsbug
    Free Member

Brill day, the descents on the GT Grade were not the most enjoyable!

Clink

Fab day – I agree with above marshalls were all brilliant. 29er hardtail was definitely the way forward – must have been hard work on a cx bike. My first ride for a while so was chuffed to get round in a reasonable time.

russyh
    Free Member

I got to say it was good fun picking off the cx bikes on the more rugged descents. Especially after getting hammered by them on the road sections

Nipper99
    Free Member

Great day. Harder going on the cx even with 700x40s as the ground was so hard. Last one in on the 100k 😳

mboy
    Free Member

Great day, only did the 50 cos recurring knee injury is stopping from pushing too hard (and also meant I had to get off and push up that sod of a final climb which cost me about 5 minutes I reckon!). Sooooooo glad I didn’t bother with the CX bike, just fitted some faaaaast tyres to 29er full sus instead. Lost out a bit on the climbs, but then I always do anyway, was oddly quick on the flats (even compared to the CX bikes!) and murdered people left right and centre on the descents… First time ever I recorded 50mph on a Mountain Bike today, and I recorded over 45mph on at least 3 occasions (including off road!) too…

So yeah, CX bike for sale, and it won’t be getting replaced. HONC from now on is a case of watch the weather the week(s) before, if it’s good then turn up with 29er full sus, if it’s crap then just don’t bother turning up.

grahamh
    Free Member

Bit of house keeping, did any one one here loose a Garmin gps unit?
    One was handed in and we would like to reunite it with its owner.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘HONC’ is closed to new replies.