Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • HONC
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

don’t forget to set your alarms – entries open at 7.00 am tomorrow morning.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Can’t make my mind up this year. But always been fun and well organised event

nickdavies

I’ll be in and hoping for slightly less mud this time!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Rode it last year on my cx bike , id say the perfect bike for the course, cant ride it this year due to work 🙁

superstu
    Free Member

Silly question perhaps but how hard is it for those who ride for fun rather than train (or regularly commute and have better base fitness)? And best suited to CX or MTB?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Its a fun event so no stress , ride as fast or as slow as you feel u need too, there will always be someone slower than you , its usually me 🙂 … suitable for both so take what you got
    over the years ive rode it single speed, full suss, hard tail and my crosser last year, doable on all

mboy
    Free Member

Silly question perhaps but how hard is it for those who ride for fun rather than train (or regularly commute and have better base fitness)?

Not hard at all. You can do the 50km route rather than 100 and you’ve got all day to do it. Only a couple of big climbs usually, and nothing technical.

And best suited to CX or MTB?

Depending on the route and conditions, either/or. Can get pretty beat up on a CX bike if it’s dry and bumpy, some years there’s more road than off road though which is where the CX bikes win out.

Can’t go far wrong with a light 29er HT on fast tyres. Certainly a FS bike is overkill, and leave your super tacky dual plies at home!

Nipper99
    Free Member

Silly question perhaps but how hard is it for those who ride for fun rather than train (or regularly commute and have better base fitness)? And best suited to CX or MTB?

I rode it for the first time last year. I’m a Sunday cyclist and really enjoyed it – great vibe, all very friendly.

russyh
    Free Member

Have done it for last few years and I’m entering again this year, albeit don’t have the appropriate bike anymore!

mrmo
    Free Member

as part of one of the organising club i tail-ended the route last year, the speed differentials are great. and you do have the option of the short route. You can make your mind up on the day, you will also be advised to take the short cut back if you are going very slowly (marshals do want to go home not that i am trying to put anyone off)

If it is dry it is easy, if it is muddy, cotswold dust is soul destroying!!!

This might give some ideas, this is the first half of last years long route, and how fast people are.

https://www.strava.com/segments/11793571?filter=overall

sockpuppet

I’m in!

#61.

Clicked ‘proceed’ at 0705… 60 people beat me to it: must have typed faster!

drover
    Free Member

Entries open!!!

russyh
    Free Member

I’m in. Just need to find a bike now!

peteimpreza

I am in , number 262

russyh
    Free Member

Wow im entry number 9, if only my riding was as quick as my typing!

Andy

484 😀

iain65
    Free Member

I’m in with wife and son, 201, 202, 203.

Hells

I ‘m in, no. 57 this year! Just one thing, I think I need a new bike for it! 😀

whippersnapper
    Free Member

106. Not ridden in the Cotswolds before, looking forward to it.

iain65
    Free Member

The first rider home last year in the 100km was on an MTB if that helps anyone, he managed to gap the second placed guy by about a minute purely on the last descent.
    A decent HT with fast tyres (Thunderburts) works well usually for me but CX bikes do have advantages in some areas as there is a reasonable about of road involved.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Overslept but in at 592.

Pickers

I’m in as well, 621 after a couple of hours open. Just hope it’s a bit less claggy than last year

mattsccm
    Free Member

Help. Registered at 7:02 and spotted confirming email but seem to have deleted it. Can I get into entry central to check? Living in seems to need a password which I didn’t get asked to do.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I lost mine last year and emailed the organisers who sent me a copy.

iain65
    Free Member

Mattscom, on the entry central website there is a tab to see the ‘sign ups’ where you can check if your name is in, winchcombe cc will have no problem confirming this, they are very helpful.

tofu21

I’m in! It’s a great event that I’ve not done for a few years. It’s going to be the first time on the cross bike.

mboy
    Free Member

Number 719 here

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I’ve entered but have just informed by management at home that we have a wedding that weekend.

Do the organisers do refunds?

crewlie

In at 108, hope to not fall in the river this year, a very wet and cold last 20k last time 🙂

ps44
    Free Member

Got up early for #81. Haven’t done this for 6 years as we’ve always been away over Easter, but did loads of the previous ones. Ridden in everything from blazing sun to blizzard.
    Don’t suppose I’ll be getting round in under 5 like I used too 🙁

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I’m in!772

mboy
    Free Member

Do the organisers do refunds?

Email them, pretty sure they do.

Alternatively there’ll be lots of people who missed out looking for entries on here tomorrow!

iain65
    Free Member

Come on ps44, just because you’ve reached retirement does not mean you can’t go under 5 hours!

superstu
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement especially mrmo

I have signed up – 832.

See you there. 😀

ps44
    Free Member

True Iain, but I’m not going to get much riding in in the next two months which won’t help. It’ll be interesting to see the impact But as you know, HONC timing is totally dependent on the mud factor !

iain65
    Free Member

Yes Paul, conditions always the factor, can vary the front end finish times by up half an hour. Still think a sub four hour is possible if conditions were perfect for someone (probably Marc….).

Dogsby

I’m in. #502.

Looking forward to it.

Dogsby

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Must have done it for the past 10 years or so on a mtb.
    Was gonna give it a miss this year but a mate has bought a new cross bike so decided to do it with him.
    First time riding it on a cross bike but I am really looking forward to it again!
    Max

Andy

Likewise until last year had done the last 5 or 6 times on an mtb. Last year did it on a cross bike and it was much more fun. Doing it with a mate who has just got a cross bike so should be a hoot!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Found my email! #49 at 7:02
    Got a couple of virgin mates riding who are all worried about distances already!
    Tell me, if I remember, (didn’t do 15 or 16), the 100 and 50 routes come together then go their separate ways at the feed stop. Would this allow knackered riders to start with a 100 but then save a few Km by cheating a bit? Or start the 50 at the normal split but finish the 100. Poor little lambs want 75. 🙄
    Must admit to not noticing the 50 joining the 100 as by then I am usually knackered trying to do a 100 in 6.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘HONC’ is closed to new replies.