Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • homemade vs. bought rim strips for tubeless question
  • Shackleton

Just idly browsing and read some ghetto tubeless articles. They all imply that the 20" tube that you use as a rim strip goes between the tyre and the rim. Why do they say this when normal rim strips for converting to tubeless sit in the bottom of the rim bed and don't interfere with the bead mounting? I just thought it would make the mounting of the tyre more insecure and more likely to burp or pop off the rim.

Any opinions?

wwaswas

Joe's rim strips come up the side of the rim and the bead sits on them I've nto had any trouble with 'burping' and it seems fairly easy to get a seal with most tyres.

13thfloormonk

I've used the 'rim strip up the side' method in the past and it worked perfectly. I think the problems with burping were avoided because the sealant effectively glues the strip to the tyre, so even if it did roll the strip would come with it and prevent any air loss.

However this time around I cut the tube to fit in the rim bed perfectly. It was a bit time consuming (I was injured so I could afford the time) but it did inflate perfectly first time.

I didn't like the idea of the tube sitting betwixt tyre and rim but like I say, it didn't seem to do any harm.

FuzzyWuzzy

I had the same concern last year when I converted to tubeless, I went with a Stans kit in the end but ghetto seems to work fine for most people despite the strip potentially interfering with the bead mount.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘homemade vs. bought rim strips for tubeless question’ is closed to new replies.